Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

The story of Crochetsoup

I just felt like doing something so I decided to tell the story of Crochetsoup.

I am a 35 year old man. My name is Moises like the one in the bible. Well, I move a lot. A whole lot. One day I was living in Florida at my cousin's house and I was looking for something to do with my time to try and make a little money. I was unemployed living off of food stamps. I saw one day in the newspaper that the city had a art and crafts show every first Wednesday of the month and all artists were invited to go sell their things at the square in front of the city hall. I figured what the heck. My cousin had some looms to make some hats, so I went to the store and bought my own looms and started making hats... Well I made so many hats that I got sick of them. I also make tons of scarves lol. I thought to myself there had to be something better to make. No one wants to buy a hat in Florida. I then tried to make some stuffed animals. Here is one of my earlier creations,
    The story of Crochetsoup-14-jpg
    It came out pretty good. But making things on a loom wasn't what I wanted. It was then that I looked into crochet. I went online and looked up all sorts of videos on making things. I basically taught myself how to crochet amigurumis. From there I kept making more and more. I ended up selling over $2000 in plushies at the fair and to other people I met. We used that money to move to Massachusetts. There I stopped making plushies and managed to find a job that gave me 8 hours a week. Well things didn't work out and we moved again. I moved to Oklahoma and found full time work. I had hurt my wrist and given up on plushies forever. After a year we moved again back to Massachusetts. We had to give up everything. We came here with nothing but our clothes. I have been sleeping on a cot for a year. So has my mom who is disabled. I have to watch her 24/7 and I can't work because I have a stomach ulcer that rules my life. I have no money for anything and we struggle a lot. But out of all this I found my passion for plushies again and I managed to remake my website Crochetsoup Given it's posted on a free web hosting service right now that only allows me 5GB of visitors a month, but I also made a Facebook and I post things there. This keeps me occupied and I like to make plushies. I now have a little following of people on facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moise...93862037482092 this is the page link. I'm proud of my work. I hope everyone likes it too. Well that is the story of my plushies... I recently went to see if the city would let me sell some plushies on the sidewalk downtown, but they make it impossible for anyone to make a dollar unless your rich. If anyone would like advice on making plushies please feel free to ask. I'm always available.

Thank you all for hearing my story. Happy Crocheting and Lets all try and keep plushy power alive!
    The story of Crochetsoup-arts-walk-mar-2012-2-jpg

2. Likes Teri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful. I wish you success.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work !
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing. You do nice work. I wish you success.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetsoup View Post
    I just felt like doing something so I decided to tell the story of Crochetsoup.

I am a 35 year old man. My name is Moises like the one in the bible. Well, I move a lot. A whole lot. One day I was living in Florida at my cousin's house and I was looking for something to do with my time to try and make a little money. I was unemployed living off of food stamps. I saw one day in the newspaper that the city had a art and crafts show every first Wednesday of the month and all artists were invited to go sell their things at the square in front of the city hall. I figured what the heck. My cousin had some looms to make some hats, so I went to the store and bought my own looms and started making hats... Well I made so many hats that I got sick of them. I also make tons of scarves lol. I thought to myself there had to be something better to make. No one wants to buy a hat in Florida. I then tried to make some stuffed animals. Here is one of my earlier creations,
    The story of Crochetsoup-14-jpg
    It came out pretty good. But making things on a loom wasn't what I wanted. It was then that I looked into crochet. I went online and looked up all sorts of videos on making things. I basically taught myself how to crochet amigurumis. From there I kept making more and more. I ended up selling over $2000 in plushies at the fair and to other people I met. We used that money to move to Massachusetts. There I stopped making plushies and managed to find a job that gave me 8 hours a week. Well things didn't work out and we moved again. I moved to Oklahoma and found full time work. I had hurt my wrist and given up on plushies forever. After a year we moved again back to Massachusetts. We had to give up everything. We came here with nothing but our clothes. I have been sleeping on a cot for a year. So has my mom who is disabled. I have to watch her 24/7 and I can't work because I have a stomach ulcer that rules my life. I have no money for anything and we struggle a lot. But out of all this I found my passion for plushies again and I managed to remake my website Crochetsoup Given it's posted on a free web hosting service right now that only allows me 5GB of visitors a month, but I also made a Facebook and I post things there. This keeps me occupied and I like to make plushies. I now have a little following of people on facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moise...93862037482092 this is the page link. I'm proud of my work. I hope everyone likes it too. Well that is the story of my plushies... I recently went to see if the city would let me sell some plushies on the sidewalk downtown, but they make it impossible for anyone to make a dollar unless your rich. If anyone would like advice on making plushies please feel free to ask. I'm always available.

Thank you all for hearing my story. Happy Crocheting and Lets all try and keep plushy power alive!
    Moses
    I wish you tons of success....your amigurumi creations look cuddly. I make amigurumi often for my grandchildren. Although I have never been in your "shoes" I can tell you sometimes it is difficult to make a buck, until you have found your "niche" in life. Keep striving for what ever it is you are looking for and you will find it.....
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Moses....check this out...

10 Ways to Sell Your Crochet
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com