Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

First veggies came int tonight!

Well, I sure do have a lot of typos, don't I?! My husband has planted over 125 vegetable and herb plants (herbs around front where I can get to them and not pictured here), and he is rooting and making cuttings too, plus has Hibiscus, Camelia, Hosta and more decorative plants. I did nothing but the inside, background work, my usual, and try to get his dirty gardening clothes clean! Tonight we ate sauteed our 1st freshly picked yellow squash and a miniature Japanese eggplant together, and he got two steaks for $1.00 each since it needed cooking today so we grilled them, and I made mashed potatoes. We eat healthy all the time so the potatoes were a splurge, but we have organic food and use plants and ladybugs, praying mantis and other things to keep bugs away and it works like a charm!

Growing it yourself makes it taste so much better! I wanted to post pics of the raised beds and containers at our newly fenced patio - the fence is now 6' high with lattice at the top! also, the plants are now huge and a little of everything is growing like crazy, tons of green tomatoes on the vines, we have everything but cauliflower & broccoli since we couldn't find any plants to plant. but we have a local source for getting that fresh already. Gardening can be costly, but the pallet fence was free, not treated so safe, the raised beds were scrap lumber from his brother's project on their mini farm, the big pots were free, the lattice was on clearance for 35.00 instead of $135 (!!) per section, God is surely blessing this project no doubt, and we thank Him daily! We have a free freezer coming as soon as a friend with a pickup, which we need one of badly ourselves, can come drive Dale to pick it up!!

You name it, we have it, and the window boxes with lettuce are almost ready to pick, and I pray the asparagus comes in good, I am addicted to it and it cots too much at the store anyway. I'm so proud of my husband for working into the night in the heat, it's been in the upper 90's all this past weekend and week, and only down to the mid 70's at night, when last week it went down to 60's at night and felt much better also in the upper 80's in the day then. I pray he has continued goo health, and he still has his hernia but is waiting till fall to get it fixed since it's not an emergency, and it's not his intestines - naval hernias like that are the layer of fat we all have, and all the gardening he's lost any little fat her had on his 6'-2" body, and the surgeon said there is no rush. Here are a few pics but we have to use the laptop or I'd be taking more pics, believe me, and we don't like taking it outside very much! Pray that I can somehow get a real camera soon, like maybe find a deal on clearance or some miracle that I know happen! We're thankful for every small & big thing.

First veggies came int tonight!-gby1-jpg

First veggies came int tonight!-gby2-jpg

First veggies came int tonight!-gby3-jpg

First veggies came int tonight!-gby5-jpg

2. Likes crochetdiva liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are growing about five or six different variety of tomatoes, six different variety of bell peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, okra, onions, shallots, radishes. We doubled the size of our garden this year and I hope to can pickles and tomatoes this year. It is alot of work, but well worth it in the long run. Oh, we also have watermelon and cantaloupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    We are growing about five or six different variety of tomatoes, six different variety of bell peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, okra, onions, shallots, radishes. We doubled the size of our garden this year and I hope to can pickles and tomatoes this year. It is alot of work, but well worth it in the long run. Oh, we also have watermelon and cantaloupe.
    Hi Barbara, your garden sounds wonderful and it sure is a lot of work, but this is our first one in a while. I can't can so I plan to blanch & freeze as always, we have the deep freeze coming soon. My health is bad as you know so I know it will be hard on me, but hopefully I won't have too much coming in at once. We have a lot of variety but not tons of any one vegetable. We didn't do onions or radishes, but we have everything else except the 2 others I named, so we should be eating good for the summer IF nothing else, and that is important to us to have pesticide free organic food. Have fun with yours!! susan