Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Spring Garden Talk...

It's that wonderous time of the year. Spring Gardening! It's time to get the tools out, buy seeds, bulbs and plants. Maybe you've even spent time ordering or viewing gardening supplies. Planning your garden/s has surely kept you motivated and awaiting spring!

What's in your garden? What will you be planting? What changes are you making in your garden? Please share your tips and ideas so our gardens are beautiful, healthy and bountiful this year.

Here's a pic of my purple queens and dusty miller from a prior year:
    Attached Images Attached Images Spring Garden Talk...-002-jpg 

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    On Saturday, I started my patio container gardening. I planted sweet pea flower seeds, corn, cucumber, broccoli and salad blend. Corn will be transplanted to the in-ground garden at a later date.

Today, I planted hollyhock seeds sent to me by Linda D. Mitzner(CT). Thanks again Linda!
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 05-01-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The salad blend and cucumber seeds have already appeared above ground: planted April 25

The 18" Celebrity tomato plant that I bought on April 22 is progressing well.
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 05-08-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Butterflyrose, I have also been in my garden quite a bit already. It's best to get a head start on yard work before it gets too hot and humid. Here in Mobile, we can never get ahead of the mosquitoes, but the cool mornings helps (I think they sleep in!).
    My asiatic lillies are blooming, the hosta are looking good and I've had quite a few blooms on my amaryllis. The Hydrangeas with be looking good in a few more weeks! I don't do edible gardening any more since my daughters' in-laws plant a substantial garden and share with me.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Today, I spotted 3 corn stalks peeking above ground. YAY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sapphire, I agree with you! It is best to get a head start in yard work before the weather gets too hot. It makes it pleasant to work for long periods of time without distraction. Enjoy it!

What's Happening in My Flower Gardens...

Many of my yellow bearded irises have bloomed, the purple queen is vibrant and so is the dusty miller. My snapdragons are in full bloom and my rose bushes are producing beautiful bouquets of fragrant flowers in reds, pinks and blush. The gladiolus are growing taller and I'm awaiting their blooms. All of these plants are perennials and return each year. Instant gardens!

How is your garden growing?

The Happy Gardener~Butterflyrose~

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the picture of the purple queens. I had no idea what they were called. I have quite a few of them that are mixed in with aloe vera. It's a pretty spot and both types of plants stay in bloom year round. The purple plant with the lavender color flowers and the light and dark green of the aloes with the coral flowers is quite pretty all mixed together. So thanks ever so much for your photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cheated this year (since I put my house up for sale, did not have the time to take care of real flowers) so I put silk flowers in all the pots (got rid of the veggie and herb pots) and my real estate agent thought they were real. They do look nice. However I am hoping the two geranium plants that I took in last year will bloom, stayed green all year in the house, now it finally warmed up enough to keep them outside.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Today's Garden Update:

A few minutes ago, I checked my patio garden. A couple of hollyhock seeds have sprouted and I'm so excited! Now, there are 4 corn stalks growing! The salad blend and broccoli are increasing in size and number too. Lettuce from the winter is still producing. And the beets continue to grow and show their green leaves! Soon, I'll transplant my tomato plant to its permanent garden pot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    Thanks for posting the picture of the purple queens. I had no idea what they were called. I have quite a few of them that are mixed in with aloe vera. It's a pretty spot and both types of plants stay in bloom year round. The purple plant with the lavender color flowers and the light and dark green of the aloes with the coral flowers is quite pretty all mixed together. So thanks ever so much for your photo.
    You're welcome! They are such a pretty plant! Your flower mixture sounds lovely.