Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: Sleep Apnea

Post Thanks / Like

Sleep Apnea

I found out last year that I have severe sleep apnea. I already knew I've had it for about 8 years, but I'd been dragging my feet about going for a sleep study because I knew they'd give me a CPAP machine, which I didn't want. I was so stubborn! During my sleep study I stopped breathing 62 times an hour. That can be so dangerous.

I finally broke down and went for a sleep study after my grown boys came to visit and told me how bad I snored. They could hear me on the other side of the house, over the TV, with my bedroom door closed. My youngest son stayed with me in a hotel and said he could hear me all the way down the hall. I'll bet the other guests loved that... not.

Using a CPAP is very embarrassing to me, even though I can't help it. I have to admit that looking like Darth Vader and waking up with marks on my face from the straps isn't very sexy, but I have to use it anyway. Severe snoring isn't very sexy either LOL.

Do any of you have sleep apnea, and can relate to me?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what that CPAP looks like, Shelley, but I have no idea how it works. Does it generate oxygen or what?

Is sleep apnea a condition that is permanent or is there a procedure that they can use to correct it or is the CPAP the only solution?

Lots of questions ... sorry, kiddo.

Post Thanks / Like
    A CPAP machine blows air, not oxygen. It blows a very powerful stream of air that's forced into the lungs to keep a person from stopping to breathe when they're sleeping. You put distilled water in a reservoir that adds a light mist to the blowing air so your airways don't get too dry from the blowing air. There are many different settings that determine how much air is put out from the machine. It's individually set for each patient based on what their body needs.

My dad has had a CPAP machine for over 30 years and my brother also had sleep apnea. My brother had surgery for it. It's an extensive, fairly brutal surgery that alters the back of the throat. It's very painful to have done with a long recovery time and the success rate is very low. It didn't work for my brother.

My doctor said mine is caused by genetics. For me it's a type of physical defect, I guess, and apnea in my family. For some people, it's caused by their extra weight. And when they lose weight it can go away, for some people. Even though I'm about 40 pounds overweight (ugh), that isn't the cause of my apnea. I had it even when I was much thinner. And my brother wasn't overweight either. He was an athlete.

So it's really the pitts for me. I really hate that I have sleep apnea. But I'm grateful to have my CPAP, even though I don't like it.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    No, but i was readying where Soul Susan has it now..
    But just remember it is better than the alternative of what might happen if you don't where it. I don't know much about it but does it get any better with treatment?

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize that that machine is so tough on you. But if your Dad lived for 30 more years. I assumed it was like an Oxygen mask, better check it out so I won't sound so dumb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janice, no sleep apnea doesn't get "better" with treatment, unfortunately. It is what it is, and it's there for life. I'll always have to sleep with a CPAP machine. It won't ever go away. There is no 'cure' for sleep apnea. You either have it or you don't. Unless you have it because of excessive weight and you lose a lot of weight, which we all know is extremely hard to do. Then it goes away for some people, but not everyone.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    They are coming up with new contraptions all the time, maybe they will invent a machine that isn't so awkward. When you talked about your Brother you talked about him in the past tense. Has he passed away?
    Does the air constantly blow in your mouth or does it just do it when you stop breathing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    They are coming up with new contraptions all the time, maybe they will invent a machine that isn't so awkward. When you talked about your Brother you talked about him in the past tense. Has he passed away?
    Does the air constantly blow in your mouth or does it just do it when you stop breathing.
    Janice, the air blows constantly with a CPAP machine. And yes, they are very awkward to wear.

We lost my brother 3 years ago to brain cancer. He was only 46. It was very sad and I miss him so much.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, I know what you are talking about. I have sleep apnea also but my doctor said there are some other methods to use because i just can't sleep with it on. I feel claustrophobic. i can't stand anything on my face. He is going to do another sleep test and see what he can do. I have been losing more sleep with it then I did without it. I still wake up tired. I also have parkinson's which makes you feel tired all the time as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry, I bet you really do miss him.