Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Need help with Celtic poncho pattern

Has anyone done this pattern? At one point, the English translation calls for black wire to sew the poncho together. Well, I can't find any for starters, and it was not called for in the supply list either. I am confused about the "magic squares" as well...do not know how many foundational chains to make in the base of the circle. I have contacted Jellina's site already, but thought that someone here, with more experience than I have, could help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just took a quick look at it (googled it and it came up on Ravelry, hope that is the one you are referring to). I don't think she means black wire, I believe it is black yarn since she does state to make 36 squares in the black yarn and someone did question the use of black wire in the comments, she did answer she used one of the colors from the poncho to join them together. The pic of the square (I am not a fan of diagrams) doesn't show the beginning chains for the circle. What I would suggest is try a chain of either 4 or 5 and join, then continue on with the square, it should even out. It is a stunning poncho, especially when joined with the black yarn. Hope this helps.

Roe

3. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Roe! I am using this as a stash buster and a gift for Mom. She loves English gardens, so I am making the rectangles out of gold, deep orchid, light orchid, variegated plums, ivory/cream, sage green, deep olive and hot pink. I plan to do the squares and join the poncho in dark grey (kind of a "stone among the flowers" effect. I plan to let Mom lay it out so the colors join the way she wants them to. More later.

Post Thanks / Like
    She uses the magic ring to start her circle squares , which you can find out how to do on you tube lots of videos there ...It is quite a good technique to learn and you will probably use it often once you learn it...this is what she says to start the circles

magic ring
    3 hdc, 1ch (4x)
    5 hdc, 1 ch (4x)
    7 hdc, 1 ch (4x)
    here is one of many you tubes on magic circle many others on the right side of the video page
    and as for the wire , not sure what she means but I think is must be a translation problem in wording.... I believe it is all joined by yarn...will be interested in what she replies back to you ... I have had this in my to do list for one day but have lots to do before that happens. Looking forward to seeing yours and your Mom is going to love it...good luck and Happy Crocheting....Davena

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the magic circle and always use it when I can because it gives you more room while you do the stitches in the circle and leaves almost no hole in the enter of your squares. I very seldom use a chain to start my work anymore. This is a good video for everyone to learn how to do the magic circle. Thanks for posting it. Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned how to make the "magic circle" when I was a little girl from my mom's teaching, and it didn't have a name then. Been using it ever since. New name for an old stitch.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you share the link to the celtic poncho you are referring to?
    ---HarriEtta

9. Likes Nae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    http:// http://www.jellina-creations...-celtic-poncho

I am still having a lot of trouble with the squares...they are turning into circles, but I am going to learn this if it is the last thing I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked this square up. To make the square first make a magic ring (which will only be 1 loop). The ring should be open enough for you to put all your crochet stitches in.

3 hdc (first hdc will be 2 sc), 1ch, (4x) close with slipstitch on the first hdc:
    Then, crochet your first hdc which will always be 2 single crochet (which make the corner). yarn over hook and insert hook in loop and make 1st sc, then make another sc. Then make 2 hdc. Repeat this 3 more times. Slip stitch in next stitch. Pull on the shorter yarn tail to close the circle. You should come out with a square instead of a circle.
    5 hdc (first hdc will be 2 sc), 1 ch (4x), close with a slipstitch on the first hdc
    Next, crochet 2 single crochet in the next stitch. (mark the 1st sc so you can keep up with the beginning stitch). Then crochet 1 hdc in each of the next 4 stitches. Repeat this 3 more times. Slip stitch in next stitch.
    7 hdc (first hdc will be 2 sc), 1 ch (4x), close with a slipstitch on the first hdc
    Next, crochet 2 single crochet in the marked stitch. Then crochet 1 hdc in each of the next 6 stitches. Repeat this 3 more times. Slip stitch in the next stitch.

Fasten off. Shape and block your work into a square using the 2-sc stitch corner as reference. Your square will be kind of circle-ish because there are only 2 sc in the corners. If you look at the designer's work, her squares are kind of in a circle. You can make a "true square if you put 3 sc into each corner.

I prefer using all hdc, and using 3 hdc (instead of 2 sc) in the corners to make a true square throughout. I hope I have been able to solve your dilemma.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The magic squares were proving far more frustrating than they were worth. I am doing the squares by ch 3, join, and working in the circle. For some reason, this works for me and the very small hole in the center is of no consequence since this is to be worn. If it were a hot pad it would be different.