Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like your input

April 18 is the heights fest at our church where people can show anything they've worked on and I have brought stuff before but I'm not sure if it's right to do in a church cause the Lord overturned tables in a church and said His house is to be a house of prayer. If I did bring something, someone might want to place an order. I know I can always say no if someone asks and I have before. They're also going to have samples of food which I don't see anything wrong in. What are your views on this? What about garage sales or craft sales at a church?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean-Marie, As Im not a Church goer now, did for first 1.2 of my Life. Catholic Church and they had a Fund Raiser for Kids Doings, Church needed ??? , some one in need of? Different Faith's did it years ago, Bazaars for different reasons, needed Musical instrauments, send kids to camps etc.
    All Faith Church on corner does rummage sales, ice cream socials. Trinity Lutheran a block away has, rummage, Special Dinners for different Holidays.
    Jean how do you feel?? if you dont want to take orders Dont take at all. Take only for making and giving back to your Church ??? God Loves you and he Lets others do as the choose ---so You do & be Happy xoxoxoxo Hugs. Prayers of Peace of mind. Susan2014

Post Thanks / Like
    While I am not a church goer either, many different denominations of churches often hold fairs to raise money for their church. The local Catholic Church that has the prayer shawl ministry that I am involved with also has two holiday fairs a year, one in the spring, one right before Christmas. And often I see notices in the local pennysavers about all kinds of church fairs. As long as you can bring items, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is up to you if you want to take orders. Just do what you feel most comfortable doing.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    April 18 is the heights fest at our church where people can show anything they've worked on and I have brought stuff before but I'm not sure if it's right to do in a church cause the Lord overturned tables in a church and said His house is to be a house of prayer. If I did bring something, someone might want to place an order. I know I can always say no if someone asks and I have before. They're also going to have samples of food which I don't see anything wrong in. What are your views on this? What about garage sales or craft sales at a church?
    I believe if it is a church sponsored event there is nothing wrong with showing off your stuff and if someone wants to place an order that should be fine. It is different if you were soliciting people to buy your things without it being a church sponsored event. At this event, you are actually showing off your talent that the Lord himself gave you when you show your items. Good luck with whatever you decide, but in this case, I do agree it would be o.k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, I know some people have a problem with this and compare it to Jesuse at the temple. This was when Jesus went to Jerusalem for Passover and many pilgrims had traveled there to worship but also pay taxes. Since they came from all over they did not have the right kind of money so the money changers exchanged the money but overcharged them. The pilgrims would buy the livestock for sacrifices there too and were charged way more then any place else. That why Jesus called them thrives and robbers. The other problem Jesus had was there was so much noise the people couldn't pray. I am sure you would not be having any kind of sale even a benefit for someone during church services. What better place for people to buy or sell something than at their church where they would not have to worry about being cheated. We have had many fund raisers at our church for missions, children's camps, to pay for children that can't afford to go etc. take the wonderful things the Lord has given you the talent to make and show them, sell them or take orders to sell them. I am quite sure the Lord will look kindly upon you and your endevors I pray you will have a blessed day on April 18th. God bless love you Winnie

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Winnie. She did a wonderful job of explaining. Hope you have a wonderful time. Jesus will be smiling--He knows your heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,
    Yesterday(Monday, April 13) I went to the community center and brought the knitted penguins (I made over time) so I could start putting them together. They thought that I should take them to the heights fest. There was one person there - her name is Stephanie who said her daughter loves penguins and she would buy one from me. I'm going to sell her one.

At the Heights Fest people can bring what they have worked on (it's just for show) to show what they've done. If I get them done I can bring the penguins. The thing of it is that if someone says (at the Fest which is at the church) that they will buy a penguin from me I wouldn't feel right about doing that because it would be in a church and the money would go to me. I have 2 penguins (one is spoken for. If someone said they wanted to buy a penguin and we weren't in a church then I would do that.

I have the wings/arms on the body for both penguins. I have the feet and the nose to put on both of them and the eyes to embroider. the Fest is the 18th although I have to have the penguins ready sometime on the 17th.

I'm also going to recite the 1st chapter of 1st Thessalonians. They have other people doing other things. I know there's going to be singing. There will probably be dancing too. One year there was a cake walk. there's probably going to be a popcorn machine-free popcorn and there will be free samples of food and drinks and everyone has to make a tile if they want a raffle ticket. I think that's how they're doing the raffle.
    Jean Marie