Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Post Thanks / Like

Trendy Broomstick Lace Top

Trendy Broomstick Lace Top-crochet-broomstick-summer-top-jpg

Hi! Just wanted to share this pic of a broomstick lace top that I made. It was a fun stitch. I posted how I made it on my blog in case you'd like to do the same.

2. Thanks karenlatlas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the picture and the link to make it. Very nice!
    SuZ
    The biggest lie I tell myself, "I don't have to write that down, I'll remember it!"

4. Likes mamainastitch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is very pretty. Thanks for sharing the link!!

Roe

6. Likes mamainastitch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful work! I've attempted the broomstick lace stitch and it feels sort of awkward to me. I know it'll take some practice before I feel comfortable with it. I'd really like to make a shawl using that stitch.

I love your top, well done!

Shelley

P.S. What kind of yarn did you use? Something lightweight?

8. Likes mamainastitch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter has your same name, but she might be older than you in fact. Life is odd in ways... I saw this Broomstick top of yours yesterday, either thru my email somehow or saw your blog post some other way that I was lead to it, I remember especially seeing the tea towels (and the bulky cowl)! When my Jessica was not yet in kindergarten, I used to stencil unbleached muslin like your towels are made of, I made samplers and hung them on dowel rods and thin rope, designed pillows with French Knot designs and added ruffles and lace edges I made by hand with no machine for while! Then my mother gave me her machine when she quit sewing about a million pieces of beautiful clothing once and for all, that's when I made my quilt top that I posted about last week! I'm having a deja vu moment for sure here...

I was a hand crafter starting around age 17 and will be 58 next month, ouch, that hurts lol... I have a lot of those older pieces in my trunk but am still reaching for more to do, in fact my precious worn out stenciling brushes are in my trunk to this day! Now I'm crocheting my birds and butterflies for my branches in the vase that I posted just before Christmas, and I added dearest debi's Easter egg from the CAL to the top of my silver vase (it' on my blog, I started mine just last July). Today at the All About Fabric Warehouse I saw leather material like your coasters are made with, and my wheels were churning with what those could be made into.

How I wish we'd had the internet when I was doing all of that alone, with no one to share it with... but the memories are there, and my home has always been decorated with things I made and still is. I hope yours will always be like that too! Good luck blogging your hand crafted work!

10. Likes mamainastitch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    very pretty top

12. Likes mamainastitch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Beautiful work! I've attempted the broomstick lace stitch and it feels sort of awkward to me. I know it'll take some practice before I feel comfortable with it. I'd really like to make a shawl using that stitch.

I love your top, well done!

Shelley

P.S. What kind of yarn did you use? Something lightweight?
    Hi! Thanks for your kind words! I used Patons Denimy in grey, which is a worsted weight cotton, wool blend. It is something like 60 percent cotton, so it is fairly lightweight. The broomstick lace was definitely awkward at first, but got easier and easier. You should give it a try again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    My daughter has your same name, but she might be older than you in fact. Life is odd in ways... I saw this Broomstick top of yours yesterday, either thru my email somehow or saw your blog post some other way that I was lead to it, I remember especially seeing the tea towels (and the bulky cowl)! When my Jessica was not yet in kindergarten, I used to stencil unbleached muslin like your towels are made of, I made samplers and hung them on dowel rods and thin rope, designed pillows with French Knot designs and added ruffles and lace edges I made by hand with no machine for while! Then my mother gave me her machine when she quit sewing about a million pieces of beautiful clothing once and for all, that's when I made my quilt top that I posted about last week! I'm having a deja vu moment for sure here...

I was a hand crafter starting around age 17 and will be 58 next month, ouch, that hurts lol... I have a lot of those older pieces in my trunk but am still reaching for more to do, in fact my precious worn out stenciling brushes are in my trunk to this day! Now I'm crocheting my birds and butterflies for my branches in the vase that I posted just before Christmas, and I added dearest debi's Easter egg from the CAL to the top of my silver vase (it' on my blog, I started mine just last July). Today at the All About Fabric Warehouse I saw leather material like your coasters are made with, and my wheels were churning with what those could be made into.

How I wish we'd had the internet when I was doing all of that alone, with no one to share it with... but the memories are there, and my home has always been decorated with things I made and still is. I hope yours will always be like that too! Good luck blogging your hand crafted work!
    How cool that you have been crafting for so long! And wow, we have done a lot of similar projects! The only other person I've heard about that made things out of muslin was my friends grandmother. That is too funny that you had seen my post somewhere else, and now here.....thanks so much for checking it all out. It is definitely fun sharing things online. I never thought I'd get so into it. It started because I was making patterns and thought I'd better keep track of them somehow. I am going to head over to your blog now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AudreyL View Post
    very pretty top
    Thanks Audrey!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome all...thanks for the kind words!