Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay! I finally learned!

I finally learned how to knit! I am currently knitting a hat with straight needles because I do not have circular knitting needles right now. I will post pictures as soon as possble.

PS. Sorry I haven't been around much lately, I have been very busy with my daughter and Church things. We are also in the process of planning a trip to see my mom, dad, grandmother, and niece on April 25.
    How is everyone doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you! A few months ago, I tried to teach myself how to knit, but it's slow going for me. Crochet is so much easier and I see faster results. I'm proud of you for not giving up!

Shelley

3. Thanks Rogue Hobbies thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is great. I can sort of knit, actually I can cast on and do the knit stitch but the purl stitch just escapes me, it comes out looking the same. I can usually follow the printed instructions (but I have no patience for videos) but I need someone to show me the purl stitch. Someday (in my spare time, LOL) I will learn it again, just to know I can do it.

I'm with Shelly, I find crochet much faster and easier.

Congratulations on this new achievement, can't wait to see your work. And have a wonderful time visiting with your family this month.

Roe

5. Thanks Rogue Hobbies thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fro knitting: I used to only know the long tail cast on but the other day or night I learned a couple of other ways to cast on. One way is to knit your stitches for the cast on. Another way is the back loop cast on. I also found that you can cast onto 2 needles held together and when you're done casting on stitches take one needle out and your stitches won't be tight. I tried that and the stitches seemed too loose. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.
    Jean Marie

7. Thanks Rogue Hobbies thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi LI Roe,
    When you knit the yarn has to be in the back and when you purl the yarn has to be in the front. When you purl the knitting needle goes from the top to bottom of the stitch on the front side of the needle. The yarn is wrapped around the needle like the letter 'c'. You'll probably be able to see this better on a video.

9. Thanks Rogue Hobbies thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jean Marie;163436]Hi LI Roe,
    When you knit the yarn has to be in the back and when you purl the yarn has to be in the front. When you purl the knitting needle goes from the top to bottom of the stitch on the front side of the needle. The yarn is wrapped around the needle like the letter 'c'. You'll probably be able to see this better on a video.[/QUOTE]

I know it is not that hard to do but I just need someone to sit with me for a few minutes. I am not a video person nor a diagram person either. I do have friends (just need to make time to sit with them) who will show me. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Roe

11. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful news, RogueHobbies! Congratulations.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

13. Thanks Rogue Hobbies thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    I know it is not that hard to do but I just need someone to sit with me for a few minutes. I am not a video person nor a diagram person either. I do have friends (just need to make time to sit with them) who will show me. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Roe
    Roe,
    When I started to knit, I didn't know that you had to move the yarn either in the back or front depending on if you knitted or purled so I knitted some stitches and then when the pattern said to purl I just purled without moving the yarn in the front and it got twisted and I didn't know what I was doing wrong until someone told me.
    Jean

15. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jean Marie;163505]Roe,
    When I started to knit, I didn't know that you had to move the yarn either in the back or front depending on if you knitted or purled so I knitted some stitches and then when the pattern said to purl I just purled without moving the yarn in the front and it got twisted and I didn't know what I was doing wrong until someone told me.
    Jean[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling, I thought I had it right till I realized both stitches looked the same. When I have time, I will have someone show me hands on. Right now I am in the middle of getting ready to take a trip and clearing out my house since I will be putting it on the market. Though will let you know when I finally get to it. Have a great day.

Roe

17. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post