Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Steel crochet hooks

Hello,

I am confused about the diameter of a size 7 steel crochet hook. Some sources say it is 1.5mm and others say it is 1.65mm. Which is correct?

Thank you,
    Meave60

Post Thanks / Like
    The UK/US conversion isn't just a matter of crochet hook sizes, steel hooks have unique properties that makes them a little confusing... but in the overall scheme of things, 1.5 to 1.65 is not enough difference to worry about, so they say use either one you may have. I do try to go by these charts as I can!

Steel Crochet Hook Conversion Chart | Purple Kitty

This one has a LOAD of helpful hints, incl hook size info: Cheat Sheets for Crocheters - Andrea's Notebook

Skandinavian/American/UK conversion chart

It helps to print these out and there are tons more online in a search!

3. Thanks Meave60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you know if you have steel hooks vs aluminum. When I started out I bough a set of Boye hooks. Is there a difference using them? I have found when using the ?platic one they don't slide as nicely. Sometimes patterns call for much larger sizes.
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyella View Post
    How do you know if you have steel hooks vs aluminum. When I started out I bough a set of Boye hooks. Is there a difference using them? I have found when using the ?platic one they don't slide as nicely. Sometimes patterns call for much larger sizes.
    Measurements for steel and alum hooks are the same, they mean as opposed to plastic or acrylic (which are basically the same except acrylic is harder and for bi hooks mostly). Be sure to read the hook or pkg IF you have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think steel hooks mostly refer to those used for thread crochet and aluminium refers to those used with yarn. Some of the larger sizes (maybe all) are made with plastic. Because of their size, you could see how heavy they might be if made with any kind of metal! I love my steel hooks, some from my mother and others from various sources. I even have a couple I think are bone which would make them really old.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire43 View Post
    I think steel hooks mostly refer to those used for thread crochet and aluminium refers to those used with yarn. Some of the larger sizes (maybe all) are made with plastic. Because of their size, you could see how heavy they might be if made with any kind of metal! I love my steel hooks, some from my mother and others from various sources. I even have a couple I think are bone which would make them really old.
    That's pretty much the case, but I have an alum size N and it's not heavy as all if.... when you drop it in the table it does sound like a small wrench,lol, but it won't hurt your foot if it falls on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire43 View Post
    I think steel hooks mostly refer to those used for thread crochet and aluminum refers to those used with yarn. Some of the larger sizes (maybe all) are made with plastic. Because of their size, you could see how heavy they might be if made with any kind of metal! I love my steel hooks, some from my mother and others from various sources. I even have a couple I think are bone which would make them really old.
    Almost all of my hooks are well over 50 yrs old and in perfect condition. Passed down to by me good friend who's mother crocheted some tiny stitches and Gem, Boyle, Bates, Millward, (Gem & Milward apparently no longer made) Sapphire I have some in there that look like bone but I think it's extremely hard plastic. Would be nice to know! Mine all have Made in USA and either 10 cents or 25cents. I went and bought an M Bates, a P Yarnology, and my F is a Boye Crochet Dude with nice soft handle. I was so fortunate she gave me those hooks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, thank you for the answers. So they about the same.
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME