Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Health Benefits of Crochet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Totally agree, and I've proven that with two different articles on my blog site Shelley, one by a well respected medical doctor who also does natural treatments like holistic and homeopathics, and another is on my fb page about how it affects your brainwave pattern and changes chemicals in the brain to help many different illnesses and diseases. you know I always say it's my therapy, and a lot of people message me, telling me that same thing! Crochet on for your health!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree completely. I have had restless leg syndrome for years and they drive me nuts even though I take meds. for them. IN 2011 I had a knee replacement and was house bound, therefore bored, bored, and more bored! So a friend suggested that I take up crocheting. So I did? After a few weeks my husband says to me. You know since you have started crocheting your more relaxed and your legs don't bother you while you are crocheting. He was right!
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, crocheting helps my major depression tremendously. I've read one of the articles Susan is talking about where it explains how crocheting changes the chemicals in our brain, like serotonin and dopamine, the "feel good" chemicals.

Have any of you read the book called "Crochet Saved My Life"? It was written by a young woman who developed severe depression and turned to crochet for relief. It helps her and I've no doubt that it helps me, also.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    How true and thank you for sharing this site. I love to crochet because I make gifts and charitable items but I also find it very therapeutic. When my husband was terminally ill and in the hospital and out of it most of the time, I would sit in his room (private room due to his condition) and crochet away to help get through the long day since I wouldn't leave until visiting times were over. I was taught by my mom when I was a pre-teen and it has been a big part of my life. Even now, when I come home after doing whatever I am doing for the day, I curl up with my crochet hook and project in the evening and just lose myself in it. I would say it is cheaper than a shrink but not with what I seem to spend on yarn and books, LOL!!! Seriously, it relaxes me so much.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I have quite a few illnesses such as parkinson's diabetes and heart disease. I am not able to work and before I really started to craft and crochet I felt like I was helpless and I would get depressed but now when I do my crochet as well as other crafts it has helped me a lot. I am also in pain 24 hours a day as I have diabetic neuropathy and fibro as well as arthritis. Crocheting helps my parkinsons because I find I don't shake as much, i feel good when I see the finished product because I feel like I can still do something, and it keeps my mind off my pain and helps me from getting depressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    For me, crocheting helps my major depression tremendously. I've read one of the articles Susan is talking about where it explains how crocheting changes the chemicals in our brain, like serotonin and dopamine, the "feel good" chemicals.

Have any of you read the book called "Crochet Saved My Life"? It was written by a young woman who developed severe depression and turned to crochet for relief. It helps her and I've no doubt that it helps me, also.

Shelley

That's why I"v always been so vocal about crochet and my poor health. I knew other people had to be living life the same way, and I quickly learned that they were! When I tell about how it's my therapy, I don't seek pity or anything like that at all, I just hoped to get others to perhaps open up and talk about their problems, and they do more often in private messages to me, but it;s a lot more people who have this issue than I ever dreamed. Remember the famous book "Crochet Saved My Life", about the lady with chronic depression? It's for sale on Amazon, maybe in libraries. There is a website now dedicated to it!
    Crochet Saved My Life | The Mental and Physical Health Benefits of Crochet

Also, how crochet can help caregivers: How Crochet Can Help Caregivers