Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Help me to understand the instructions

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to crochet and lack lots of experience. Hope you guys can help me to solve this part.

As I am crocheting a pair of booties, the pattern is gained from RedHeart website, as below:

BOOTIES Sole
    With B, ch 13.
    Round 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 10 ch, 3 sc in last ch, turn to work along opposite edge of foundation ch, sc in 10 ch, 3 sc in last ch, slip st in first sc to join – 27 sc. Place marker for beginning of round.
    Round 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, *sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in next 3 sts; repeat from * once more, slip st in first sc – 34 sc.
    Round 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next 5 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 9 sts, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 3 sts, slip st in first sc – 43 sts.
    Round 4: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 11 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, [2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 sts] twice, sc in next 13 sts, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 3 sts, slip st in first sc – 50 sts.
    Round 5: Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), working in back loops only, hdc in each st around, slip st in top of beginning ch. Fasten off.

Bootie Upper
    Round 1: Join A in same st as joining, ch 1, working in back loops only, sc in each st around to last 2 sts, sc2tog – 49 sts. Rounds 2-3: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, slip st in first sc. Fasten off.

Shape Ankle
    Row 1: Skip first 34 sc of last round, join A in next sc, ch 1, sc in same sc, hdc in next 26 sc, sc in next sc – 28 sts. Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next 6 sts, [sc2tog] twice, sc in next 4 sts, [sc2tog] twice, sc in next 6 sts, sc2tog – 22 sts. Fasten off.

Shape Toe

Row 1: Skip next 7 sts of last complete round of Bootie Upper, join A in next st, ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 6 sc – 7 sc.
    Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc, sc in next skipped sc along complete round – 8 sc.
    Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in each 8 sc, sc in next skipped sc along complete round – 9 sc.
    Rows 4-8: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc. Row 9: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in each sc to last 2 sc, sc2tog – 7 sts. Fasten off.

I am stuck at the red part. I don't understand this instruction. Please help me. I pause the first bootie where I'm stuck and make the 2nd one to see if I've made any mistake along the way, but it is the same. And I cannot finish these booties.

Thanks a lot for your assistance. Nice day

Post Thanks / Like

Two Colors

You are supposed to be working with two colors - A and B. You started with B and have to switch over to A. Hope that explains it.

Pat

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to crochet and lack lots of experience. Hope you guys can help me to solve this part.

As I am crocheting a pair of booties, the pattern is gained from RedHeart website, as below:

BOOTIES Sole
    With B, ch 13.
    Round 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 10 ch, 3 sc in last ch, turn to work along opposite edge of foundation ch, sc in 10 ch, 3 sc in last ch, slip st in first sc to join – 27 sc. Place marker for beginning of round.
    Round 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, *sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in next 3 sts; repeat from * once more, slip st in first sc – 34 sc.
    Round 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next 5 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 9 sts, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 3 sts, slip st in first sc – 43 sts.
    Round 4: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 11 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, [2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 sts] twice, sc in next 13 sts, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 3 sts, slip st in first sc – 50 sts.
    Round 5: Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), working in back loops only, hdc in each st around, slip st in top of beginning ch. Fasten off.

Bootie Upper
    Round 1: Join A in same st as joining, ch 1, working in back loops only, sc in each st around to last 2 sts, sc2tog – 49 sts. Rounds 2-3: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, slip st in first sc. Fasten off.

Shape Ankle
    Row 1: Skip first 34 sc of last round, join A in next sc, ch 1, sc in same sc, hdc in next 26 sc, sc in next sc – 28 sts. Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next 6 sts, [sc2tog] twice, sc in next 4 sts, [sc2tog] twice, sc in next 6 sts, sc2tog – 22 sts. Fasten off.

Shape Toe

Row 1: Skip next 7 sts of last complete round of Bootie Upper, join A in next st, ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 6 sc – 7 sc.
    Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc, sc in next skipped sc along complete round – 8 sc.
    Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in each 8 sc, sc in next skipped sc along complete round – 9 sc.
    Rows 4-8: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc. Row 9: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in each sc to last 2 sc, sc2tog – 7 sts. Fasten off.

I am stuck at the red part. I don't understand this instruction. Please help me. I pause the first bootie where I'm stuck and make the 2nd one to see if I've made any mistake along the way, but it is the same. And I cannot finish these booties.

Thanks a lot for your assistance. Nice day [/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. I understand that I have to work with two colors. I've done so, but when I followed the instructions, counting the stitches to skip, it seems that something is wrong, the ankle part is not in the center.

And when shaping the toe part, I don't know from where to count the seven stitches.

Hope I explain my problem clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by patsg View Post
    You are supposed to be working with two colors - A and B. You started with B and have to switch over to A. Hope that explains it.

Pat

Hi everyone,

BOOTIES Sole
    With B, ch 13.

Bootie Upper

Shape Ankle

Shape Toe

Thanks a lot for your assistance. Nice day
    [/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Linhihi. I read your post and the instructions that seemed to be giving you the trouble, but I am not one that visualizes well in my head. I actually have to work through the pattern before it comes together for me. So, I worked through the pattern. I used 4-ply worsted weight yarn, just to make it easier for me to see and. outside of being big enough for the Jolly Green Giant's baby, I thought that it came out not too bad, at least as far as the instructions went. I'm afraid that I did a couple of extra rows on the "shape toe" portion of the pattern, so the top of my toe probably comes up a little higher on the bootie than it is meant to, but besides that, it looks like a bootie should.

In answer to your questions, when shaping the ankle, you count the 34 stitches to skip frome the starting stitch of the previous round. You do not turn your work. Instead of beginning that round in the first stitch of the previous round, you count and skip 34 stitches. This will have you attaching your color A just a little less than half-way up the opposite side. It will result in you working around the heel and just a little more than half-way up the other side. Then you ch 1 and turn. You do this for 3 rows and it forms a band of color A that only goes around the heel and half-way up each side.

The next question concerning the toes: You fasten off your color A, then you begin counting from the next stitch of your color B (which is 3 rows lower than where you just ended with your color A). You skip the next 7 stitches of your color B row so that you are attaching your color A and working 7 sc (in the same direction) across the very front of the toe. With each new row you work your way across the toe and pick up one more of the skipped stitches of the color B row, alternating from side to side.

I would snap a photo of mine to send you, but my phone's battery is dead. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to do that. I hope this has been helpful in some way.

Mark
    "We cannot do any great things. We can do only small things with great love."
    Mother Theresa

5. Thanks Linhihi thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh thank you so much for your help in explanation. I'll try to continue my booties as you instruct to see how I can go on. Thanks many times again

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue2007 View Post
    Hi Linhihi. I read your post and the instructions that seemed to be giving you the trouble, but I am not one that visualizes well in my head. I actually have to work through the pattern before it comes together for me. So, I worked through the pattern. I used 4-ply worsted weight yarn, just to make it easier for me to see and. outside of being big enough for the Jolly Green Giant's baby, I thought that it came out not too bad, at least as far as the instructions went. I'm afraid that I did a couple of extra rows on the "shape toe" portion of the pattern, so the top of my toe probably comes up a little higher on the bootie than it is meant to, but besides that, it looks like a bootie should.

In answer to your questions, when shaping the ankle, you count the 34 stitches to skip frome the starting stitch of the previous round. You do not turn your work. Instead of beginning that round in the first stitch of the previous round, you count and skip 34 stitches. This will have you attaching your color A just a little less than half-way up the opposite side. It will result in you working around the heel and just a little more than half-way up the other side. Then you ch 1 and turn. You do this for 3 rows and it forms a band of color A that only goes around the heel and half-way up each side.

The next question concerning the toes: You fasten off your color A, then you begin counting from the next stitch of your color B (which is 3 rows lower than where you just ended with your color A). You skip the next 7 stitches of your color B row so that you are attaching your color A and working 7 sc (in the same direction) across the very front of the toe. With each new row you work your way across the toe and pick up one more of the skipped stitches of the color B row, alternating from side to side.

I would snap a photo of mine to send you, but my phone's battery is dead. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to do that. I hope this has been helpful in some way.

Mark

7. Likes trueblue2007 liked this post