Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

A Poncho for REDHEAD/PATTY and everyone else, too!

Patty, you mentioned on the thread for the poncho sharrono made for her granddaughter that you've been hunting, with no luck, for a poncho you made years ago, and have forgotten how to put it together. What you wrote rang bells in my head.

I came across this pattern in 2005 on the AOL Hometown website for Janelle Schlossman. I liked what I saw and copied her photos for it and printed out the pattern so I could make it.

In 2008 AOL got rid of the AOL Hometown, which had provided AOL members with a free website and all the tools to build your own. In one fell swoop AOL got rid of 11 million websites!

Fortunately, I had gotten a lot of Janelle's work in 2005. Some of her work can be found on Ravelry but as far as I can tell this particular poncho pattern has been "lost" forever and can't be found anywhere on the internet. And unfortunately Janelle can't be found either!

Here's copies of the photos she showed with her poncho ... IF I can get them posted on here...LOL!

(What's with the question marks on the uploaded photos?)

I'm going to have to post the pattern instructions in a post following this one!
    Attached Images Attached Images A Poncho for REDHEAD/PATTY and everyone else, too!-janelles-poncho-jpg A Poncho for REDHEAD/PATTY and everyone else, too!-janelle-poncho-joining-jpg 

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Son of a gun. Well shoot! I wrote the post and it's GONE!!!

I have to fix dinner so I'll come back later and continue!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    Patty, you mentioned on the thread for the poncho sharrono made for her granddaughter that you've been hunting, with no luck, for a poncho you made years ago, and have forgotten how to put it together. What you wrote rang bells in my head.

I came across this pattern in 2005 on the AOL Hometown website for Janelle Schlossman. I liked what I saw and copied her photos for it and printed out the pattern so I could make it.

In 2008 AOL got rid of the AOL Hometown, which had provided AOL members with a free website and all the tools to build your own. In one fell swoop AOL got rid of 11 million websites!

Fortunately, I had gotten a lot of Janelle's work in 2005. Some of her work can be found on Ravelry but as far as I can tell this particular poncho pattern has been "lost" forever and can't be found anywhere on the internet. And unfortunately Janelle can't be found either!

Here's copies of the photos she showed with her poncho ... IF I can get them posted on here...LOL!

(What's with the question marks on the uploaded photos?)

I'm going to have to post the pattern instructions in a post following this one!

I like the ones like this w/the rectangle's that are connected, there are a lot of patterns for them out now. This is a good way to keep from having the 'seam' down the middle if you don't like that style. I watched a German speaking girl make one on a video and she had a few English remarks on the screen and her video was so good that I can make a poncho from it with no English words, it was that easy! she did a pink & black one, looked great!

5. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love that Poncho. I use one a lot in summer....night time cool mosquito night??

Post Thanks / Like

Poncho pattern

Thanks Poinciana, SusanSoulShines, and Susan 2014 for your posts. Actually the sketch of the pattern...how to put it together is exactly what I wanted! That is all I needed and I have pretty much figured it out already and I will post what I have been doing on my poncho. This poncho could be made with smaller crocheted squares or as 2 long single panels. I really don't need the written pattern now. I have it in my head.... the way I want to do it. I have the panels made with 6 large squares and crocheted them together. Now I am crocheting around the neck space making it smaller (so it doesn't slip off my shoulders). I will add around the outside edge and maybe put a fringe around it to finish it off.

I had made these squares a while back and they are about 14" square in size. I hadn't decided what to do with them (24 of them!) I finally put together 9 of them for my grand daughter for a small blanket. Then I put 9 more of them together for myself ( still crocheting around them)making my afghan bigger. The 6 squares I had left are just the right size for the beginning of a poncho. I need to post pictures so you can see what I have been doing! Thanks for you help all of you! Love, redhead/Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 03-02-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A Poncho for REDHEAD/PATTY and everyone else, too!-poncho-jpgHi, Patty . . .

I'm so glad the sketch is what you needed. Hooray!

I had originally started the Janelle poncho but, wow, it was going to take me forever and a day, so I wrapped it in tissue paper and put it in the back of my yarn stash. (Janelle called for sc, ch 1, sc, ch 1, as the pattern stitch. What did me in was it was going to be 46 rows of that pattern (85 stitches per row). Nice stitch, but slow to make. I dug it out a couple of months ago, frogged it and used it to make an elbow-length cape (in ripple stitching.)

I like your concept of using squares for a poncho. I came across the one in this post last week and have been thinking strongly about making it....
    Last edited by Poinciana; 03-02-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    How fun to see my two favorite Susan's replying here!

SusanSoulShine, I totally like your picot poncho but it looks very, very warm which I wouldn't get a lot of use of because my winters don't normally get cold enough to wear heavy clothing! I wish you lots of responses for it and many, many sales!

Susan2014, yes, I agree with you... a lightweight poncho is ideal for summer nights when mosquitos are swarming...good, too, for walking on the beach at night!
    Last edited by Poinciana; 03-02-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this.
    ---HarriEtta

11. Likes fabiana liked this post