Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: carrying yarn

Post Thanks / Like

carrying yarn

Am working on a sweater where I have to carry my yarn (I have never done this). My problem/question is how do I carry to the next row. I single crochet 4 and in the 4th sc I change my color and SC the next 4 and so on....my edges aren't looking very neat. Have been trying to find a visual aide but no luck. Any help of suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Robyn/Joyyyy
    Attached Images Attached Images carrying yarn-20150228_120758-jpg 
    Last edited by joyyyy; 02-28-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added picture

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Robyn!

Here is a tutorial on carrying yarn.

How to Carry Yarn in Crochet - For Dummies

And another one...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/400187116858009130/

Hope these help you. Let me know if I can help you more.

~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I never heard of this before! But what a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you carrying yarn in different colors so you don't have to cut it each time you change colors? I haven't tried that but it sounds like a wonderful idea to keep from having all those tails to sew in.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Dancingbaehr,

I checked out the videos and I think I have the carrying part down. The thing am questioning is when I turn; chain 1; and start crocheting again. This is where I am questioning myself. I attached another picture of my side to show what it looks like. Please let me know if I am doing it right. Hate to go any further if it isn't right?

Thanks bunches,
    Robyn/Joyyyy
    Attached Images Attached Images carrying yarn-20150301_172107-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbaehr View Post
    Hi Robyn!

Here is a tutorial on carrying yarn.

How to Carry Yarn in Crochet - For Dummies

And another one...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/400187116858009130/

Hope these help you. Let me know if I can help you more.

~~ Hugs, Jo
    This Dummies For Crochet is full of goodies Jo, thx! When I did this CAL I only knew of the way to cut and then add colors when changing colors on a piece, but I learned that I had 2 options for this hat, I could make it not be reversible and just carry the yarn along and not cut it off; or I could cut it off and let it be reversible. At first, before I knew the hat could BE reversible, I just carried the yarn along inside the hat and no one would see it and it would be faster & easier for me. But now I carry yarn along and hide it by some of the ways you posted here, and it makes for quicker work and more options on anything I make! Here is a pic of the inside of the hat before I went back and cut the yarn and weaved in it so this 'double thickening as you go' hat can be reversible after all! This hat was a wonderful learning experience for me.

This 1st pic shows yarn that was carried inside the hat and shows so I couldn't wear it like this as reversible unless I fastened off and wove the ends, which I did.

carrying yarn-insidefpdch3-jpg

This show when I'm almost done cutting an weaving ends in to be reversible, so this will be the side that will show once I'd finished weaving ends.

carrying yarn-insidestitchingcloseupfpdch1-jpg

This is the outside with FPDC that made it double thicken as I made it, a very cool hat!

carrying yarn-mfpdch2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Pixieglitter,

No. I am crocheting 4 sc in each color and it is making a diagonal design. This is the first I have done something like this and it is pretty slick. It is going from row to row that I am not sure about and with it being a pattern makes it a little more difficult for me. I am making myself a sweater (I actually have 2 sweaters going for myself right now) and it is going to look nice when it is done. The hubby picked out the colors.

Robyn/Joyyyy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi SusansSoulShines,

Thank you for sharing. After looking at your pictures I can see that I am doing it right on the "straight stretch." I am going to bookmark Crocheting for Dummies, right next to You Tube.

Robyn/Joyyyy

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joyyyy View Post
    Thank you Dancingbaehr,

I checked out the videos and I think I have the carrying part down. The thing am questioning is when I turn; chain 1; and start crocheting again. This is where I am questioning myself. I attached another picture of my side to show what it looks like. Please let me know if I am doing it right. Hate to go any further if it isn't right?

Thanks bunches,
    Robyn/Joyyyy
    Hi Robyn,
    Your edges look just great!! The way it is supposed to look! You are doing a fine job, girlfriend. Please post a photo of your finalized project. I'd love to see how it turns out. I like the colors you are using.

~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!