Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: County Fair

Post Thanks / Like

County Fair

In 2013 my aunt asked me if she could submit two doll dresses I crocheted for her in her county fair, there weren't a lot of entries and it would help her out. I didn't care so I said go ahead. Well being one of two entries I won a ribbon. Woo hoo! She asked me early on in the year if I would submit more for 2014. So I say sure what do you want? 3 blankets, 2 dresses/sweater a few hats. So I go ahead and make them up and told her after the fair to donate them to her church to be sold at the craft fair they have to raise money for the church. This year there were actually a lot of submission in Anyway I ended up winning a ribbon 1st or 2nd on everything. They had little slips with comments on how they scored it. Pretty interesting. What I thought was my neatest work stitch wise and finishing wise they took points off for finishing. The one I didn't spent a lot of time on with the ends got a perfect score, go figure. I appreciated the comments and feedback. Now the real reason for telling you all of this is not for the congrats on the ribbons or anything but come to find out my aunt submitted it all in her name. She called me to tell me I might need to teach her to crochet because she is being invited every week to join the crochet group and people are stopping her at Wal-Mart asking her to make stuff. Whenever she had a baby shower to go to she would ask me to make something for it and I guess people at the showers all thought she made those items too. She has quite the reputation in her small town for being a good crocheter. I honestly don't know if I should be amused at her predicament, the crochet group is not understanding why she won't join or should I be a little upset because she is taking credit for my work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm..it is amazing on the judging results at times. Different judges will mean different thoughts although they have a general scoring method.

Have you thought about using the crochet tags on items you create and give to her? Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the judges at the county fair weren't familiar with crochet, and what was more difficult as opposed to the easier stitches.

If my aunt took credit for my work I'd be upset. It's just wrong, in so many ways.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Also.... I wouldn't make my aunt anything else for her to give as gifts. I'd just tell her, "No, I don't think so," or "I really don't have the time to make any items for you to give as gifts because I'm spending my time making items to donate." Her taking credit for you work really bothers me!

BTW congratulations on the ribbons YOU won!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, congratulations on the ribbons that should be rightfully yours (even though they were in her name), apparently, they thought your work was great. I agree with Barbara, I have submitted items and sometimes could not figure out how they judge items either.

I'm with Shelley too, I would not do anything else either. To submit something in her name that she did not do is just plain wrong and not fair to you. I would be upset also and I am now upset too. There is no reason to pass off someone else's work as your own and then expect you to teach her since now they want her to do more. I would never think of doing something like that. Family or not, it is not right, Okay, I'm done.

Roe

6. Likes MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing is she thinks it is funny, I didn't find it funny. I don't really care, I don't live there or know anyone so I'm ok with them not knowing it is mine. Just to ask me for sympathy because she is being put on the spot to join a crochet group or make something she obviously can't make is a bit much.