Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Cool plast bag crocting

Hi everyone I am Ruth I live in a small township in michigan called Nottawa, we are noted for our ice cream. People even come from Indiana to get our ice cream. I have been making hats and bags out of used plastic grocery bags that I get my groceries in. I also have been making rugs from t-Shirt yarn that I have been making from old t-shirts for a family reunion in July and having a lot of fun, but I am running out of colors with my plastic bags. I now have mostly white. does anyone know where I can buy a viriaty of different colors in a case? I have been looking but most places I have looked at you can only buy one color in a case and there cases run from 30.00 to 70.00 and that is to much to buy several cases to get several colors. I need at least 3 or 4 colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruth,

Welcome to the group! In our area, we only have white bags. I did some searching and did not come up with anything. My thought is I wonder if there is a way to get ahold of bags were are rejects/defective at a deep discount. The only thought I have would be to contact some nearby companies and let them know you are looking for an inexpensive way to use plastic bags which are not suitable for other purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Ruth! Barbi has some good ideas on getting different color bags. I plan to make some plarn bags, I have been hoarding different color bags. But I only have a few of each or I would share! Do you have friends in other areas that could save them for you! Maybe somebody on this site would do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    My son planted trees in northern Ontario & British Columbia to earn $ for university. He brought home several rolls of tree planting tape in pink, blue & yellow.....it's the same plastic tape used to mark trees & trails. I have used them to crochet many items. I did see rolls in our Dollar Store. Maybe you could check that out in your area.
    P.S. There's a group at a retirement home near me & the ladies & gents have a group that uses milk bags to crochet sleeping mats for Haiti. A church group sews a soft fabric to the top of them. These are the bags that have 4 litres of milk in them. Do you have anything like that in the US?
    Last edited by armybrat; 04-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can purchase plastic bags in quantity at uline.com . Here's the link for the bags..

Frosted Bags, Frosted Gift Bags in Stock - Uline
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices