Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Yarn Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn Holder

My daughter found this for me to use and I think it is a great idea. Reading through some of the comments gives you ideas for using/recycling other containers. I'll need to visit Hobby Lobby for some grommets (and probably several other things)!

Chatter Box Jenn: Yarn Holder DIY

If anyone has different ideas, please add them.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

2. Thanks missro007, ginny2228, Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a yarn holder I've often thought about purchasing. I'm not sure if it would fall forward though from the weight of the skein(s).....

Yarn Winder Unwinder

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, that looks like something a DIYer could do at home with PVC pipe and a drill. Last summer my neighbor made a sprinkler out of PVC and I made one just like his. He had to put the sprinkler head on it for me, but it was relatively simple. I found in my searching that there are lots of ideas on the internet for yarn holders and I need a closed one to keep my cats' fur off my project. No matter how much I brush him, there is still fur in abundance. He is a mix of siamese and persian. Beautiful cat, but the fur.................
    Beverly

Post Thanks / Like
    Beverly, I know exactly what you mean about pet hair. I have 3 doggies, 2 have long hair. No matter how much I vacuum, the pet hair is never ending in my house.

I have an old vintage wicker magazine basket that I use to hold my yarn. It's on the floor in front of where I sit on the couch and it'll hold up to 4 skeins standing up on the ends. It's lined with vinyl and easy to wipe out the pet hair that floats into it.

Shelley

6. Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That wicker basket sounds like a good idea so I guess I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby or Goodwill to find something that will hold more than one or two skeins. I always have too many sitting around my spot on the sofa. The bags or totes that I'm using just don't do the job of keeping the fur off. Thanks for that idea!
    Beverly

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for this post!! I never throw mine away but now they have a new use!!

9. Thanks sapphire43 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

I made something very similar to this. Awhile back Michael's had these plastic cases with a carry handle. They were about 12"x14"x5" (approx.) and they were either clear or translucent - for about $5 ea. As soon as I saw it I thought oooo, if I drill holes in the short sides, I can lay up to 5 or 6 skeins of yarn in them and feed the yarn out the holes. It worked well and made it easy to carry projects with me from waiting room to waiting room (doctors, lawyers, car dealerships, you know what I mean). The only draw-back that I encountered - enough to make me go back to my grocery bag method - was that sometimes when I am pulling the yarn through the hole as it feeds from the center of the skein, it would want to come out in a big, sort of knotted clump (I KNOW you know what I mean), and I would have to open the box and untangle the knot before it would feed through the hole again. Also, if you are in the middle of a project, you really can't interrupt and use that skein of yarn for anything else unless you cut it, because you have the skein on one side of the hole and your project on the other side of the hole. But it is still a good idea and there are times when I do still use it.
    "We cannot do any great things. We can do only small things with great love."
    Mother Theresa

11. Thanks sapphire43 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good idea. I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    For projects that require more than one skein, I got a rolling plastic cart with drawers at walmart. I keep the yarn in the top drawer & open a little bit for yarn to come through. I'll try to get a photo of it tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, that's a good idea too yayamama! I like that.
    "We cannot do any great things. We can do only small things with great love."
    Mother Theresa