Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Are You A DIYer?...let's talk!

As many of you know, I am on a quest to have the most efficient, clean, decluttered and organized home ever! As my home becomes more like this everyday, I also want to do those minor repairs to complete the look. So DIY(do it yourself) projects comes to mind! I've done very few diy projects as home improvements/repairs have always been done by those with the expertise.

Now, I want to see what I can do myself! I have the TIME and ENERGY, so why not? Of course, I will continue to call in the pros for those projects that are truly above my skill level. But I want to become a diyer for minor home repairs. Making it another hobby!

To start my journey, I have prayed, affirmed it with scripture, written a to-do list and proclaimed that "I am a DIYer!" Now, it's time for ACTION! It's a new experience, a new challenge! I am ready!

What DIYs have you done? What was the outcome? Do you plan some DIY projects in the future? Please share your stories here!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a diy project! Hooray! There were 2 cracks in the steps leading up to my home. I wanted to nip this problem in the bud before it becomes a major problem. I bought Quickcrete, fine sand and a sander brush. I applied the sand and Quickcrete in the crack, cleaned up the spillage with a damp paper towel and will let it dry for 24 hours. The last step will be for me to sand it down after drying for a smooth and neat appearance. I'm so happy about starting my diys!

What project are you doing? What have you done in the past?

Post Thanks / Like
    Earlier today, I called the pros to do some projects that I won't attempt. I'm a newbie! He'll be calling me back to tell me what day he/they can come. They are the best! We've used this company several times in the past for major home improvements and minor repairs. In the meantime, I have another diy in mind. Will share when I start the project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello fellow DIYer. I have been a DIYer for years, some years I am quite active, some years not so much. One of the projects I am proud of is repairing my front door. During the warm months, we take the window out of the outer door and put in a screen. This means that the rains splash on the inner door. Well, over time the veneer warped and began to peel and crack. Faced with the choice of buying another and paying more money than we (my sister and I) wanted to pay, we scraped off the loose veneer, using a putty knife. then, we filled in those spots using a wood putty (the one that comes in a round cardboard container with a muscle man as a spokesman. After a few days of drying, we wanted to be sure it was dry, we sanded those spots flat, painted the entire door using a house paint and we had a perfectly sound door, in the color that fancied us. Since then we have changed the color of the door, the outside only, whenever we tire of the color. It is almost time for a new color, I'm thinking. Whatever you do, have fun.

5. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello OpalB! It was so inspiring to read about your diy project. Sounds like your door is beautiful, you were able to repair it by doing it yourself and you can change the color whenever you choose. Thanks for sharing!~Butterflyrose~
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 02-12-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on what the project is. When I was dating my last boyfriend, he would make me his assistant and we would do things together in my house, like adding a second banister going down the basement stairs or fixing the ceiling in the utility part of my basement. We also put up shelving in the walk-in closet in the basement. I have fixed the hanging bar in my bedroom closet. I am more of a painter and faux finisher person. I have put up borders in my hallway and faux finished the bottom half under it. Also faux finished my bathroom (hate tiled walls) when I had it redone, made my contractor put up regular sheetrock walls. Only tile is around the bathtub. I have done small projects, like fix the sill under my front and side entry doors. One year, I demolished (I like to break up things) the concrete base of an old shed that was in the backyard when we bought our house. My husband's boss (and friend) had the guys from his FD take down the actual shed but we left the concrete since it was in the farthest part of the backyard (and we had no children or pets). Then after he died, I proceeded to break it up with my trusty sledgehammer. At one point, we had a 25' by 25' asphalt half basketball court in the backyard (was there when we bought the house also) and again, I decided to start pulling up the asphalt but unfortunately, it was a big job (and hard to get rid of) so his boss recommended his friend who came with his brother and I paid them to pull the rest of it up and get a dumpster. I have caulked and repainted the grout around the chimney and also the concrete base (where the vinyl siding ends) around the patio. That has been the extent of my small DIY's.

Roe

8. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roe, you've done quite a few diys. Hearing these stories are quite inspiring and will encourage me to do more diys. My late husband did show me how to put wooden slats in our fence. I asked him to show me and I assisted him. Now, that's a diy that I can do!

Update on Cracks Repair:

The cracks are sealed. The repair was a success!