Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Post Thanks / Like

Pattern difficulty

We've all seen the 4 little boxes on a pattern that say something like beginner, easy, advanced, intermediate...anyone know the exact words and order? Is advanced or intermediate harder? The same? How do you determine what level you are. Who decides a patterns difficulty level? The person who wrote the pattern?

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The order is:

Easy or Beginner
    Intermediate
    Advanced or Experienced

It could be decided by the person who wrote the pattern, or by someone who has made it.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    And there are some that are borderline. Recently I made a doily that indicated it was intermediate, but once I got started I personally thought it could be labeled Beginner or Easy. The instructions were also easy to read. I'm thinking in this case it was the designer who classified it. Don't be afraid to try one regardless of the classification.

5. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen lots of patterns that are "mismarked." Some things are marked easy or beginner and should be intermediate! Or some things should be intermediate and are marked advanced or experienced when they should be intermediate.

Sometimes, you just have to look over the pattern to see if it's right for you...

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I believe the designer or a user of the pattern ranks it according to difficulty. I also have seen some that looked like it was for a "beginner" so you would think it would be super easy but turned out to be more for an advanced beginner. You just have to try any pattern you may be interested in and see how it goes but don't get discouraged if it is a bit harder at first. Eventually, everything falls into place.

Roe

8. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with sapphire and roe. Don't necessarily go by how a pattern is "ranked." Look it over and you'll know the level of difficulty, specifically for you. I've made patterns that are listed as intermediate or advanced and found that they were very easy for me. Same thing goes for patterns listed as beginner or intermediate and I thought they were difficult for me, personally. Don't let a pattern scare you that's labeled advanced or experienced! You might just find it's easier than you thought!

Shelley

10. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of good info. Thanks ladies even tho I didn't ask the question I sure enjoyed reading and learning from your answers!

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be Beginner, easy, intermediate, advanced. I agree with the others. I sometimes read the pattern to see what stitch is used. If I don't know the stitch, I will look it up on YouTube and you be surprise how you learn how to make the stitch. I have also started a pattern and all of a sudden I have no idea what to do and it has to do the way it was written. I then try to figure out how to do it and for the most part it works out. Good luck to you

Post Thanks / Like
    debbie67 Thank you for this Post. I allways wondered, as some have said you see intermediate & I say I cant do that> Im Easy & yet just for Fun I tried one a scarf, I had no problem after I lerned the stitch. So you & others Try it if you like a patter & find out. Ty my friend. Susan2014