Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Tension

Post Thanks / Like

Tension

Hello, I am new to chrocehting. I have been working on first chain and first crochet and i just cant get the tension about the same. Whats a good way to make the tension about right. Is there a secret or what? i will do one right quick and then post a photo of it.

kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, the tension on my stitches depends on how loose the thread is on my left hand. If it slides freely, the stitches are larger, however, if I grip the thread/yarn a little tighter and don't allow it to slide so much, I can control the tension much better. I hope this makes sense to you. Explanations without pictures can be confusing.

3. Likes cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i posted photos in the photo section sapphire43

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping a consistent tension comes with a lot of practice. The more you crochet the better you will get. And as said above holding the yarn and hook properly helps too

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, Try threading the yarn thru more fingers on your left hand or wraping the yarn around your little finger. This takes some getting used to with lots of practice. My sis sat with me for many hours telling me to wrap the thread around my hand. I was using #5 thread so it didn't have any give and really showed when the tension was too loose. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin I use the shaft of my hook ( the straight part) to help gauge my tension. Don't tighten so much that the hook is difficult to pass through. Pull up a loop and slide it to the shaft then work the next stitch. Mostly it takes practice. I suggest you make a swatch out of scrap yarn before starting a project. It won't take long to get your rythm established. Also if you have trouble with the chain being tight use a larger hook for the chain only then go back to the hook size needed for your project.