Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

? for those of you who make shrugs

i've never made a shrug before, but it seems like making an afghan that you fold and seam the sides to create an opening for your arms... is that about it? i've found some patterns that are all done in sc, but i want to do dc's as i feel like i get done quicker...lol i have some simply soft by caron that i'll try using, hoping that the drape will be ok.
    the daughter i want to make this for is very busty and i'm kinda worried that it'll be too big everywhere else to get it to fit around her bust. any suggestions?

2. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hi cheri54 I made this one for myself is all in DC it came out very nice and comfy, it drappes very well and because I am not slim i was impressed by the looks of it I am very happy hope you like the idea -

4. Thanks cheri54, Carynjoyb thanked for this post
    Likes lehmankm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your description of a shrug was spot on! I am short and not thin and I like how my shrug drapes and can be wrapped a bit if it is chilly. DCs should be fine in my opinion. Happy Hooking!

6. Thanks alexsmom51@yahoo.com, cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just printed this pattern and I'm totally making this! I may be screaming for help in a week or so... I cannot tell you all how many clothing things I have started (uncluding dog sweaters!) and I get about 1/2 done, make a BAD mistake, and then I end up messing it up and take it all back out. My family just shakes their head when they see me rolling up a yarn ball! LOL Cheers! Toni

8. Likes cheri54, catbalou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsmom51@yahoo.com View Post
    Hi cheri54 I made this one for myself is all in DC it came out very nice and comfy, it drappes very well and because I am not slim i was impressed by the looks of it I am very happy hope you like the idea -
    What yarn did you use, the Homespun or another bulky. This Homespun is killing my hands, I might be froggin here shortly, lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any yarn at all will work for this shrug. Just follow the dimensions included in the pattern. I've made this pattern several times, once a little smaller for a very thin friend and once a bit larger for another friend. I have even added some length to the sleeves after assembly.

Try using a DC weight print yarn and a DC weight solid yarn in one of the colors to compliment the print. Crochet both yarns together as if using a bulky weight yarn. The friend who got this one gets so many compliments I almost want to steal it back from her. LOL

11. Likes Carynjoyb, cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Homespun and it draped very nice but i suppose any soft bulky yarn will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, i make somethings for me to wear just to undo them, this is pretty easy you will be happy with the results like i was, it comes out very nice, even for me a full figure shorty person.

14. Likes cheri54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsmom51@yahoo.com View Post
    Same here, i make somethings for me to wear just to undo them, this is pretty easy you will be happy with the results like i was, it comes out very nice, even for me a full figure shorty person.
    That's me, 5' wearing XL- 1X, but pain causes extra heat in the body and I've always been hot natured so am careful what I crochet clothing with! Exercising enough to lose much is impossible with disease and chronic pain altho I have lost several pounds this past year because of lack of being able to eat due to jaw, temple and throat muscle spasms combined with the hiatal hernia. Not a great way to lose, but still!
    I've found a load of larger sized patterns to wear, and since 70% of American women are considered 'plus size' by wearing size 14 and up, many ladies are requesting these patterns and getting them! I looked for hours and found a load of garment patterns, and now I've learned how to measure and modify them to fit me if they're not exactly my size.
    But bulky yarn is too hot for the south and makes too much extra bulk on my body, so I'll go with a good worsted weight or Caron's Simply Soft. A nice blend of silk and bamboo would be great, what a dream to work with that!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 01-28-2016 at 09:37 AM.

16. Likes karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you I am new to this great idea for someone that always cold......lol