Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Score at Goodwill again

As some of you may know, I frequent a local Goodwill and have often found yarn that has been donated. Lately, though, I haven't seen any but today I wandered over there and spotted some skeins. Well, it turns out there were 32 of them, one at 79 cents, the rest at 49 cents. Of course, they all cried since they didn't want to be separated so Mommy had to take them all home. At that price, just couldn't resist. It is only a mile or so away from my house (which can be dangerous, LOL) so I am constantly there. And people have been donating like you wouldn't believe. The little donation room was packed and beyond that (I could see through the door opening into the storeroom) are dozens and dozens of bags of items that have yet to be sorted. So after our snowstorm Monday night into Tuesday (weather people are now saying maybe 24 inches of snow, possibly more) and everything calms down, will make my pilgrimage back there.

Just a reminder to check thrift stores and Goodwills, you never know what you will find. And since my motto is to get the most for the least amount of money, these places just help me out.

Keep calm and yarn on!!!

Roe

2. Likes Lili, cheri54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I can hardly ever find any gently used yarn in my area! Glad you are finding some you can use!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Barbara G.;157246]Wow! I can hardly ever find any gently used yarn in my area! Glad you are finding some you can use![/QUOTE]

It's the luck of the draw and what people donate. I think I am one of the lucky ones and am grateful that they do donate and not throw it out. Yarn is getting so expensive and since most of my work is for charitable organizations, it goes to good causes. Right now I am working on hats for St. Baldrick, prayer shawls, afghans and scarves. Keeps me busy and out of trouble, (well, more or less, LOL).

Roe
    Last edited by LI Roe; 01-25-2015 at 05:53 PM.

5. Likes Lili liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roe, I am so happy for you :-) I have no luck at all at Goodwill. Oh well maybe some day!! Have a good evening love Winnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Roe, I have to say congratulations on your find. I never have any luck at either of the Goodwill stores in my area. Possibly because my trips are not that frequent.

Post Thanks / Like
    HI, We have about 6 Goodwill stores around us in the Houston area, all with in 20 miles from home. I have been looking and looking all over our area and I have only found 1 tiny ball of yarn!
    I would love to make a BIG score one day!! Have fun deciding what to make! Toni

Post Thanks / Like

Goodwill

Good for you. I haventsscored any for about 3 months. One of the clerks said several ladies are commenting on the lack of yarn. Course I don't need any but u still like to find good bargans when you give it away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roe , you are just the luckiest gal in the world. I haven't seen one little strand of yarn in my goodwill stores around here forever! I think it's great that you found that so close to the other time you found all of them.
    I have been crocheting the LINEN STITCH and love the way it has no holes in it. I started to make an afghan but it may be made into a poncho. I am using my small balls of yarn and crochet 2 rows of the same color and change the color for next 2 rows, etc. then I will make a larger section of a neutral color. Then I will go back and look at the beginning rows and reverse those rows of color.for the last side. ....... I guess I just better post a picture of what I have done so far.....maybe then it will make sense. Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mttoni, Give me a hail on my Email. I live 14 miles north of San Antonio and I may be able to help you out with the yarn. mar701@hotmail.com
    Margaret.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=redhead;157375]Roe , you are just the luckiest gal in the world. I haven't seen one little strand of yarn in my goodwill stores around here forever! I think it's great that you found that so close to the other time you found all of them.
    I have been crocheting the LINEN STITCH and love the way it has no holes in it. I started to make an afghan but it may be made into a poncho. I am using my small balls of yarn and crochet 2 rows of the same color and change the color for next 2 rows, etc. then I will make a larger section of a neutral color. Then I will go back and look at the beginning rows and reverse those rows of color.for the last side. ....... I guess I just better post a picture of what I have done so far.....maybe then it will make sense. Patty[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it's one of those things I am in the right place at the right time, LOL and again, thankful for those who donate.

I can't wait to see a pic of your work, I understand what you are saying about the color change. I'm going to have to look up the Linen Stitch,. not familiar with the name, but then again, I could be doing it and not knowing the name either.

Roe