Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: mystery project

Post Thanks / Like

mystery project

This is almost finished, will be posting soon to 'reveal'! This was a first and kept me busy longer than I wanted, but it's something I really needed and am very excited about. Another' learning' project... I think most of mine are!

mystery project-bc2-jpg

mystery project-bc1-jpg

2. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes dltalkgramma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patty and Imalefty, I thought yall especially might like to see this shadow box, it's also in my crochet room where my branches are, the ones with the birds in the silver vase. Sorry about the light reflecting, it has a mirrored back on it. Also, the cheerful curtains a friend made show in the corner. The shadow box was in my mother's home since I can remember, she always said the little figurines are me and my sisters. I'm the dark haired one We all have dark hair but that's what my mom always said.... and she's the boss in my opinion, lol! She's currently in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, only 76, had it really bad for 4 years now. I sure miss my mother, it's like she's 'gone'. She kept trying to give me this box like the last 3 times I went over to her apt before she moved in with my sister. She always gave me something every single time I went to visit her. I know she really waned me to take it because she took it off the wall over her bed every time I went over. Finally I took it, and with me it stays till I'm gone, then my kids or grandkids can have it. If they want it, I hope they will want it.

mystery project-shadowbox2-jpg
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 01-22-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Step 2 (it's done except for being in place!) in next pic it will be in place. Purple is so hard to get a good pic of inside, it's got 3 shades of purple, 2 shades of green and white in it.

mystery project-goodpiccsoh2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    MYSTERY REVEAL!! Ta- Dah!

mystery project-hbc2best-jpg

**I was just having fun with this as a mystery project as I did it in steps, one lady guessed it was going to be an apron and I thought she might get it, but she didn't thank goodness! It took me a while and I don't usually do 'big' projects!

Even the part above the curtain rod makes a little stand up part like a curtain needs to! I couldn't be happier, it goes with my silky purple shower curtain and dark purple rugs really well. These colors are pretty true to real, too. The sun come in at the brightest and hottest part of the day into my bath off the bedroom, even with blinds up (the blinds are still behind the curtains!) it's miserable and hurts my eyes. I looked for a curtain and couldn't find one to match my colors or that wasn't 84" long! They do not make short curtains any more for some reason. So as usual, I thought - make it! That's what made me got into crochet originally, I needed kitchen and bath linens, towels, cloths, and sizes in between that I like to use too. I still make them, practicing stitches to get something useful, and helping me keep edges straight. I've got quite a lot of home decor items around the house now, I love it all! I still think I might add a light lining because I'm afraid the summer sun might fade it in the worst of the day, even with blinds - that sun is killer in that window!

Shelley, YES, you're more than welcome to come by when you're in SC. in fact, you better come!! I hope you will, just let me know your schedule and dates of the next trip and we meet! Try to let it be near the first Thurs, Fri & Sat of any month (going there Thurs is best they say) and we can get into public's 3 days of the All Fabric Warehouse right here in my town by the Mineral Spring Park, that still works (the mineral spring!!). They have material, and all you need to go with it, normally open to business people only who sew and upholster, and they have great $1-2.00 yarn, you never know what they'll have but I went once and was VERY pleased! So sure, come on down bamachick!!! Glad you like my curtain, my blog is having series on Home Decor starting this Friday, got anything you'd like to ad? Will you let me feature you for the next one? I found a lady for this Friday's, but as you know, I had one for this past Friday. Get with me, love ya GET WITH ME , PLEASE DO IT, lol!!!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-01-2015 at 01:22 AM.

6. Likes alexsmom51@yahoo.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness, Susan, your curtain is absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful way to cover that window. You did a fantastic job on it! Maybe the next time I'm in Greenville I can come over and see all the nice things you've made?

And I love the shadow box, too. What a special gift from your mom. I'm sorry your mom is battling that awful disease. My mom is 76 also and I can't imagine her having to go through that.

I hope you're feeling well today.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like

Thank youShelle! I needed a curatin in that bathrrom since ht ehottest brightst of tb

Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Oh my goodness, Susan, your curtain is absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful way to cover that window. You did a fantastic job on it! Maybe the next time I'm in Greenville I can come over and see all the nice things you've made?

And I love the shadow box, too. What a special gift from your mom. I'm sorry your mom is battling that awful disease. My mom is 76 also and I can't imagine her having to go through that.

Shelley
    Thank you Shelley, WOW - do I have a ton of typos in this title or WHAT, lol?! But yes the Shadow Box will always be special to me. I'm glad you like my curtain, it's not heavy. It's lined with a pale silver/white satin lining and has blinds behind it to hope fully protect it from the sun. I used the ripple stitch and figured what my width could be using the width of the window and the number of 19 stitches in the three sections in the ripple pattern, and it worked out perfectly. The other pics show bias tape pinned down that was used for the curtain rod pocket. The top part above the rod even looks like a curtain would with the little part that stands above the rod. I really couldn't be happier, and my edges were all nice & straight, the colors match perfectly, and now, no more bright sun in my eyes! Light, sound, temps, touch, water, you name it, it's all like an assault on your body with Fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis is just more pure pain on top of spasms and existing pain. Crochet is truly my therapy.

But I have crochet butterflies pinned to my kitchen curtains, a cover over my liquid soap bottle in the kitchen with cherries tied a draw string around the top if it, soap savers in the shower, Mandalas on shelves and curtains, flowery curtain tie-backs with flowers trailing down them, my vase with branches and goodies in them, and lots more in my home! MY next blog will start showcasing the pieces and I'll tell about my 5-6 month long ongoing fall project for my home. I''ll still make cowls and hats and all of that, but I like wall hangings and bunting/garlands and thing like that too! Thx again!!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-19-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post

Shelley
    Shelley, I try not to think about it because it breaks my heart so. She's in Columbia now, 2 hours away, she's happy but I don't know if she'll stay that way. I pray she does, I miss her so. She was still doing hair at age 71, that's how fast she went down! She's always been such a good mother.... sewing her clothes and those for 3 daughters, and everyone wanted to know where we got out pretty clothes, they never did look handmade. She canned and cooked home made meals every day; I had a perfect childhood. I do cherish my shadow box and many things of hers I have. I have my dad's roll top desk & mom's hope chest now too.

My father's untimely death happened at home when he was recuperating for several weeks from triple hernia repair that had the huge scars from the big incisions they used to make for that type of thing. It's a big difference now since they have all the laproscopic (sp?) surgeries, thank goodness. All that time with him not being able to do anything but recover, that just got to him terribly. I have an esophagul hernia like his and they can't be repaired or removed. He was afraid it would rupture, and they can, but don't often.

My husband is going to have an abdominal hernia repaired soon, it got really bad during our move last year. He's not looking forward to surgery, but some things we have no choices. He's always had good health and I said 'let's keep it that way'!! Anyway, please do come visit, any time, if you have an inflatable mattress you can stay over for an all night crochet party!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-19-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a pretty curtain Susan! It must've taken a long while to make! Is your mother doing better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    What a pretty curtain Susan! It must've taken a long while to make! Is your mother doing better?
    Hi Jean, thank you for the compliment on the curtain! I always mean to write down the date that I start a project, but I often forget to when I get excited about what I'm going to make next! It wasn't too long really, I just kept at it and some pieces just 'grow' quickly, I love watching them get bigger and take shape. It is one of the bigger projects for me, I admit I'm not into really huge pieces. But I needed a curtain so am happy to have one!

Thank you for asking about my mother too, but apparently Mom isn't going to get better, but instead only get worse once they reach a certain point. I've talked to doctors about this illness & they give no hope for it, and I must say that I also have no hope. It seems the brain 'forgets' to pump oxygen to itself, I don't understand that part very much, but I got a book at the library about Alzheimers and it was so depressing that I just had to put it down and stop reading. When patients forget people and time they don't get the memories back.

Some people remember certain years in their lives and some forget it all, and I have a hard time grasping this disease because the person you see their that you've known forever looks at you and has no idea who you are. One day, although I was afraid to get her answer, I asked Mom if she knew my name, or hers, and she got an empty confused look, like she knew she should know but just didn't have the ability in her to know. I don't even know what to say to her now because you cannot carry on a conversation with people like that.

It's such a heartache, I wish they had a cure for this but they don't seem to know the cause. Older people in many countries other than America don't seem to have this rampant disease so I'd love to know what might be the cause. I have some thoughts on it but it doesn't really seem to make a difference. But I appreciate your kindness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, love the idea. sorry to hear about your mom, be strong, prayers sent to you.