Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help with my first project scarf

Hello. I just started my first scarf a few weeks ago, just working on it here and there. Well last night I came to the end of my ball of yard. Now I need to finish it up. I will look up some video so see how to wrap it up. My problem is my beginning chain. I made a bunch before I started to practice. But it looks not so good on the one side because of the beginning chain is too loose. I tightened it up as I went along and now it looks funny there. Could I, maybe, undo the chain and finish it like at the other end? Or will it all come undone?

Another thing. One end is kinda going diagonal. Only at one end. I feel like I am doing the same thing at both ends but I guess not. I also didn't keep count. I counted my chain so I got the length I wanted to start with, but I knew if I tried to count every row that I would just loose count because the number is so high, 230 chains.

I will try to post some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Help with my first project scarf-20150116_074323-jpgHelp with my first project scarf-20150116_074338-jpg

The bad part of the chain. Same spot, just one with the flash and one without the flash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Help with my first project scarf-20150116_074441-jpgHelp with my first project scarf-20150116_074500-jpg

Here are the ends. Where one is pretty straight and the other end is diagonal. Again, one with the flash and one without.

Post Thanks / Like
    I congratulate you for persevering and finishing the scarf. It's a really nice color and your stitches seem to be very even. I find when starting a project like that, it is really important to count the stitches. When there are so many (230), you can use stitch markers or even those little colored, plastic coated paper clips to mark every 25, 50 or 75 stitches. That always helped me to keep the work even. As for the beginning chain being so loose, you can use a smaller hook for the chain, then change to the larger hook to finish your piece. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I should have guessed they have stitch markers, that would make things easier. I am just starting and don't know all the little things to help myself out yet.

Do you think I could undo/cut the chain and just tie it off so I wont have that loose spot? Or will the whole thing come undone?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you did a great job for your first project! Your SC stitches are very nice and even. They look very nice! You cannot undo the starting chain. Don't cut it! If you do, you'll have a big mess on your hands.

The reason your ends came out in a diagonal shape is probably because you're accidentally increasing your stitches on the ends of some rows. Whenever you begin a row always skip the first stitch, the one at the base of your turning chain. If you don't, you'll get that diagonal shape like you've got. Also, at the end of each row make sure you're only putting one stitch in the top of the chain from the previous row. Again, if you put in two stitches, you'll end up with that diagonal problem.

I hope this helps! Don't give up!!! Crocheting is such a wonderful art! And it's so much fun!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mean to confuse you. The "first stitch" on each row is the next stitch AFTER the base of your turning chain. Patterns almost always refer to the "first stitch" being the next one after the base of your chain.

Have you looked up the videos posted on YouTube? It might help you to see someone do it. There are a lot of wonderful crochet videos for beginner crochet.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2johny3 View Post
    Help with my first project scarf-20150116_074441-jpgHelp with my first project scarf-20150116_074500-jpg

Here are the ends. Where one is pretty straight and the other end is diagonal. Again, one with the flash and one without.
    Congratulations on learning to crochet! Stick with it and after each project you will get better and better.

When I teach crochet I impress on my students the #1 most important rule. It's almost like a mantra - "Don't forget your turning chain". I think you forgot your turning chain(s). May I suggest you make another scarf, again with all single crochet as you have done with this one, only make it from the short end. Start with a chain as long as you want the width to be, counting as you do this chain. This is your base chain. Then, chain 1 more for your turning chain. Sc in the second stitch from your hook and in every stitch to the end, counting as you go. You should have the same number as your base chain. At the end of the row chain 1 for your turning chain. Sc in the second stitch from your hook and in every stitch to the end, counting as you go. Etc., etc., etc. When the scarf reaches the length you want, chain once at the end of the row, cut the yarn leaving about a 4 inch tail. Pull the end through and, using a darning needle, weave in the end.

If you really don't want to count, and I don't blame you, you could use my favorite pattern: It's just a basic seed stitch. Base chain an even number of stitches plus 1 for your turning chain. Turn. Sc in the second stitch from your hook, dc in the next stitch, sc in the next and dc in the next. Continue in this pattern to the end. If you have done an even number of stitches for your base, you will end the row with a dc. Chain 1 for your turning chain. Turn. Sc in the second stitch from your hook which is the last dc from the previous row. Dc in the next stitch which is a sc from the previous row. Continue with your pattern, single, double, single, double, etc. to the end. Using this pattern you will always start with a sc and always end with a dc. If you don't, you made a mistake but need to rip out only 1 row. As you get to recognize your stitches you can check in the middle of a row by checking to see that a sc is on top of a dc and a dc is on top of a sc. Tah Dah! No counting! I make scarves, baby blankets, throws and lots of other things using this pattern because I don't have to count and it is just too easy. It is also very pretty.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Seed stitch Videos

Saw Post on beginners confusion on starter row etc. https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...structionsLink to Videos to several
    Last edited by Susan2014; 01-17-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. That does sound easy, Char, I'll give that a try. I will also check out that video Susan.