Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Needing Help Please

When I crochet hats the increase stitches always stick up higher than the other stitches. It makes the rounds look slightly uneven. Also, when I join the rounds it sticks up higher than the other stitches. I have had 2 hats that had a slight point where the rows were joined together. How do I fix this and make it so all the stitches (increases and joins) will be even all the way around?

Also, if I have a pattern for a hat that is crocheted in the round that says to use a 2.5 mm hook, but the smallest size I have is a 3.75 mm hook would I be able to make the hat? Would the 3.75 mm hook be able to be used and if so what adjustments would need to be made to the pattern so that the hat will be the same size that the pattern is for? I tried it with this hook and it ended up way too big, so is it possible to use a bit larger hook and still have the same size hat if you adjust the pattern? How would I do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can use a larger hook and reduce the number of stitches. Just check the size as you go.

Regarding the "point" you end up with your hats, you can stretch it out and reshape it once you're finished. I always run into the same problem but once I stretch out the stitches, it always comes out flat at the crown. And, I also put the hat on my head to shape it after I've completed it.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    When a pattern is done in the round, the instructions usually say do so many stitches and then increase in the nexr stitch. I reverse that IE: When a pattern states...work sc in the next 5 st. increase in the 6th st.. I would do a sc in the same stitch as the 1st st, then do sc in the next 5 st.. This way you wil avoid that spiral pointed effect. I think this is what you might be referring to. As for the size of the hook, I would just suggest you use the same size hook.