Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Baby Afghan

Post Thanks / Like

Baby Afghan

I started a baby afghan last night and made a good start on it. A friend had her third boy and she says this is the last. She would have liked to have a girl but she's happy that all her boys are healthy. The afghan I am making is a pale mint green and I will print a pic when I'm further along. I need to make another hot pad for my son. Have one done and decided to try the wiggle stitch for the second one but I don't think it will make a very good hot pad. It would make a nice cover for throw pillow.

2. Likes cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Babs1213 View Post
    I started a baby afghan last night and made a good start on it. A friend had her third boy and she says this is the last. She would have liked to have a girl but she's happy that all her boys are healthy. The afghan I am making is a pale mint green and I will print a pic when I'm further along. I need to make another hot pad for my son. Have one done and decided to try the wiggle stitch for the second one but I don't think it will make a very good hot pad. It would make a nice cover for throw pillow.
    hi Babs, i've wanted to do hotpads, but am afraid they would melt or let too much heat go through. what type of yarn do you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had any problems with hot pads "melting." But I don't take anything directly from the oven and put it on a hot pad that I've made with acrylic yarn. I know others have had this issue, though. A melted hot pad would create a big mess! I think using 100% cotton yarn will probably be okay, though. Store-bought potholders are made out of cotton.

BTW I love love making baby blankets!

Shelley

5. Likes cheri54, Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheri54 View Post
    hi Babs, i've wanted to do hotpads, but am afraid they would melt or let too much heat go through. what type of yarn do you use?
    cheri54, I use 100% cotton yarn. One of the brand names is Sugar and Cream, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I happen to be working on a baby blanket for my newest grandniece who is due to be born in April. Ronda

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RondaR View Post
    I happen to be working on a baby blanket for my newest grandniece who is due to be born in April. Ronda
    I, too am crocheting a baby blanket for my niece who is due in March/April. I'm working on the edging of the blanket now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just barely started but am working on the middle section of the blanket now. Got a ways to work before starting the Queen Anne's lace border around it. Should be pretty. Ronda

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RondaR View Post
    I just barely started but am working on the middle section of the blanket now. Got a ways to work before starting the Queen Anne's lace border around it. Should be pretty. Ronda
    what pattern are you doing for the baby blanket? I did a bobble baby blanket and now doing the border/edging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pattern is called "Simply Shells" and it is in Leisure Arts booklet called "Snuggletime" Baby Afghans. Pattern starts on pages 17 and 18 in the booklet. It has a shell stitch center that is very close weave--not"airy". But the edging on it is a Queen Anne's Lace in a picot fan stitch. I am following the directions closely, but can tell you that it is not a very wide afghan, but length is supposed to be 44 inches. I have not measured my length on this center work yet, but imagine I have close to 20 inches done already--not bad considering I just started making it last Thursday. I might add a round of beading so I can lace satin ribbon through it at the base of the edging. Using Lion Brand "Pound of Love" in white.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds very nice! I have started one with the bobble or popcorn stitch, but not sure if I will finish it. Would rather make a mile-a minute afghan.