Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the "in the first stitch" located?

Hello, I am new to the CrochetTalk board, and a relatively new crocheter! I am working on a poncho pattern and it directs me to "skip the first stitch" then to begin the row. Is the first stitch
    the one where the turning chain is, or is the first stitch the stitch next to the turning chain?

Thank you for your help.
    Jackie

Post Thanks / Like
    The first stitch is the next one after the base of the chain. It is not the base of the chain. If it says skip the first stitch you'll skip the base of the chain (which doesn't count) and skip the next one, which is the first stitch.

Hope this helps!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your response. I have more trouble with where to place my hook, than I do with actually making the stitch!

4. Likes robritt@hotmail.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are tons of YouTube videos for all levels of crochet. It might help you to see someone actually do it. It's just as important to know where your last stitch of the row is. If you don't get the right one, your project will end up slanted.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackieh View Post
    Thank you for your response. I have more trouble with where to place my hook, than I do with actually making the stitch!
    Lots of beginners in here lately - that's great!! I have a blog, or you can do it yourself of course, but I've collected a LOT of info to teach crochet and help advanced users improve and learn mew techniques, methods and patterns to share. In answer to your question, I've posted a video at the bottom of the page for you that I might have one on my posts for beginner steps on how to start at the chain, learn all the basic stitches, then move on to intermediate and advanced work! But, it's not work, it's fun!!

IF you want to go to my blog, start here at the 1st post and click on the titles at the top of the page, that goes "PREVIOUS" (of course there is no previous for the 1dt post, but there are for all the others) and also goes "NEXT" for the next post with an arrow pointing right, and you can click on the right side of the page on "Recent Posts"... I just started it in July so you're not far behind, but you can go at your own pace. I've collected all the experts videos and websites to post for people to follow!! Like I did when I taught myself.

My "Signature" at the bottom of each post here is my blog site: Soulshine Creations By Susan

but go to this 1st post and then go to all the others after it, and on the 3rd post I think is where beginner lessons start! If you subscribe at the bottom of the page, you'll be notified by email of all post releases as they go online. I'm doing this to help people so I tell anyone who I think might benefit from it

My 1st blog post: Welcome To My New Blog ; Why I Crochet; Pics of Some of My Work | Soulshine Creations By Susan
    Current post: Soulshine Creations By Susan

WHAT TO DO AFTER THE CHAIN IS MADE VIDEO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    The first stitch is the next one after the base of the chain. It is not the base of the chain. If it says skip the first stitch you'll skip the base of the chain (which doesn't count) and skip the next one, which is the first stitch.

Hope this helps!

Shelley
    Shelley, I was in Knitting Paradise the other day, and I thought it had more crochet on it from what I'd heard, but it really doesn't... anyway, I saw where I'd posted a question over a year ago and asked people if they ever used the base chain 'stitch', or the 1st chain. Almost EVERY ONE of them said they always used the base chain stitch and had never had any trouble in many years of crocheting.

I told them that I'd learned from the experts because I wanted to know how to crochet properly, isn't that the right thing to do??! I didn't see anything wrong with saying that nicely, I thought they might care to know. I posted a link to show them where the Crochet Guild of America said NOT to use the base chain stitch, I might be afraid to go back & see if anyone told me off or not, lol, but right is right and wrong is wrong!

I know gauge doesn't usually matter in crochet, but IF they needed to count stitches, seems like their patterns & row stitch counting wouldn't have worked out right using that base chain! I always love it when people post things for me to learn myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, I feel I must make a negative critique on this video. Your hands and needle, etc. are in the shadow too much of the time. It makes it hard to see what you are doing. I have seen this on quite a few videos, and they just don't know how to get the camera angle and lighting right. The other day that I was trying to watch a video and she kept getting her work too low and halfway out of the picture, so I missed some of what she was doing.
    I wonder if they ever watch their videos afterwards. Otherwise, your video and narration is very good. I am no expert and have never made a video, so I can only speak as a viewer. Try to eliminate that shadow area. This is made with love and good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

not me in the video!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jheri View Post
    Susan, I feel I must make a negative critique on this video. Your hands and needle, etc. are in the shadow too much of the time. It makes it hard to see what you are doing. I have seen this on quite a few videos, and they just don't know how to get the camera angle and lighting right. The other day that I was trying to watch a video and she kept getting her work too low and halfway out of the picture, so I missed some of what she was doing.
    I wonder if they ever watch their videos afterwards. Otherwise, your video and narration is very good. I am no expert and have never made a video, so I can only speak as a viewer. Try to eliminate that shadow area. This is made with love and good intentions.
    That's not me in the video, and I've never made one! I'm not Australian, that is an expert instructor named Clare Sullivan and it was one of the 1st videos she ever did, hers now are wonderful! Point is she gets her lesson taught in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    That's not me in the video, and I've never made one! I'm not Australian, that is an expert instructor named Clare Sullivan and it was one of the 1st videos she ever did, hers now are wonderful! Point is she gets her lesson taught in it.
    I apologize, Susan if I offended you. Reading your post sounded like it was your video. And nowhere did I get any Australian idea.?? I will have to look up that lady and see some of her videos. Thank you for the lead. Friends now - ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jheri View Post
    I apologize, Susan if I offended you. Reading your post sounded like it was your video. And nowhere did I get any Australian idea.?? I will have to look up that lady and see some of her videos. Thank you for the lead. Friends now - ??
    LOL, friends STILL, I'm not offended at all! The lady in the video showing the chain information is Austrailian. She is very personable and popular, I love her videos and to hear her talk. And she makes tons of some of the best videos I've ever seen...she's calm, clear, knowledgable, and I learned a lot from her when I was very beginning, among others of course. She wrote the pattern and did the video of the shawl I made & posted, my 1st shawl ever that I LOVE!! I hope you saw it! Bye for now...