Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New to Crochet

Post Thanks / Like

New to Crochet

Hello,

I am new to crochet and I am trying to make a infinity scarf but having a hard time understanding the pattern

Row 1) Ch 2 and hdc in same stitch and in each stitch around. [92 hdc]
    Slip stitch to beginning hdc.
    Row 2-9) Ch 3 and dc in same stitch and

Is there a good web site where I can watch a video on how to do this. I do know how to cast but its after

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I do not understand instructions either
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill post the fill instruction in case

Pattern Instructions for making in the round:
    With 2 strands together, CHAIN 92 and join with slip stitch to beginning chain (being
    careful not to create a twist).
    Row 1) Ch 2 and hdc in same stitch and in each stitch around. [92 hdc]
    Slip stitch to beginning hdc.
    Row 2-9) Ch 3 and dc in same stitch and in each hdc around. [92 dc]
    Slip stitch to beginning dc.
    Row 10) Repeat Row 1.
    You are done. Fasten off yarn and weave in both yarn tails.

Post Thanks / Like
    YouTube has great crochet videos. Do you know how to half-double crochet (hdc) and double crochet (dc)? The videos will show you how.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sunrasha;151592]Hello,
    I am new to crochet and I am trying to make a infinity scarf but having a hard time understanding the pattern

Hi! This is an easy basic pattern, but there is no "cast" in crochet, only in knitting - maybe you meant 'chain' ? I have lessons on how to crochet with ton of links on my blog posts. Click on the signature below my posts on here it's my website link, I'll put it here too : Soulshine Creations By Susan and go back a few posts to the one that has all the chaining, sc, dc, hdc and treble stitches for beginning to crochet.

*You can go forward and backwards to other posts at the top under my header pic by clicking on the topic of the previous and next post options with arrows by them pointing left and right, or on the right side of page under "recent posts" for posts that were of course, recent!

On the current post & one before it, you'll find more advanced stitching, so skip that for now! I also post videos of patterns I've made that are easy & on the next post over I give you videos to follow to make the easy patterns I show and follow the videos I give for making the items. Honestly, if you can't follow that pattern on your own yet, you for sure need to learn more about what my posts say about what to do after making your foundation chain, like chaining up to the next row (or round), and making the stitches in those rows (or rounds), and the basic hdc stitch is in with all of my beginning stitch posts. You can also search on youtube for 'crocheting in the round" , there are tons of people teaching it. I haven't gotten too deep into working in the round yet but I have links on one post for it.

They're all easy to grasp! It would be hard to find a video based on a pattern without knowing who did one like it, but I hope you'll go to my very 1st post: Welcome To My New Blog ; Why I Crochet; Pics of Some of My Work | Soulshine Creations By Susan look it over, go one thru the next few & find the ones with pics I've made, I tell about them, show easy videos to follow to make them... if you search youtube for "beginner infinity scarf or cowl" you'll bring up several to follow right away as well!

They're not at all done in the round either, some are done flat and then twisted & sewed together with a flat seam, or just sewed together and you wear it or twist it while on your neck if it's long enough. Good luck, it's not that hard - my blog site is encouraging, supportive, and tells you you can do it and tells you how! That's why I made it!! Good luck p.s. Subscribe to my blog site in the subscribe areas on my posts, then you'll get email notifications of new blog post releases!

You can follow this video, which I made & love, use any color but use the right hook for your yarn size! You can do the half double stitch instead of dc and puff stitches like she does. Jennifer with Fiber Flux has a lot of easy beginner cowls & explains them very slow & clearly. It's made flat in rows then sewed together with a simple flat seam to be round, (there is info online for joining things like this with various stitch methods too) which might be easier for you to begin with. Also, following someone helps you see what you're doing and you'll learn a lot! The 1st one is not chunky yarn but the 2nd, by iheartstitching, is, and you can make it shorter or longer if you'd like... just a couple of suggestion for you!

Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-19-2014 at 08:00 AM.

6. Thanks Itsjuslilome thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    YouTube has great crochet videos. Do you know how to half-double crochet (hdc) and double crochet (dc)? The videos will show you how.

Shelley
    Shelley!!! My blog?!?! Tell people about it, lol, I have all the stuff for people to learn to crochet in several posts, then the later move on to intermediate & advanced! You're one of my followers on there as you know - but you might not have seen the ones with the beginner lessons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sunrasha, please see my quote with your reply in it in this thread that tells you about my blog site with beginner lessons and videos. Also tells you how to find a fast easy beginner pattern for an infinity scarf, or cowl. I also sent you a private message on here.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-19-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the Crochet Talk forums! It is nice to meet you! Please make your self comfy here and let us know if you need anything!

Post Thanks / Like
    YouTube has lots of videos on how the crochet for beginners. Happy crochetin!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the tips