Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: What to buy

Post Thanks / Like

What to buy

For the past few years I have been adopting a family or families for Christmas. My kids are older now and when I ask them what they want for Christmas they have a hard time thinking of anything. So rather than buying just to buy I have been buying for kids that have an actual need. Sometimes I take tags from the tree at the bank, others from the church. Last year I did 3 families this year just one. After making contact with the mom via email I realized I randomly got the same family this year as last. I was telling her I crochet barbie clothes and she said last year someone made her daughter some and she loves them.

Anyway, onto the question. Last year she only listed the kids, this year she put her info as well. I have a $$ limit on what I spend and I was wondering what would be best. She said the kids needed clothes, shoes, a toy would be nice. I bought the 6 year old girl 2 shirts, 2 pants, 1 pj's, 2 barbies, gloves and crochet 10 barbie dresses, and an Elsa hat. For the 10 year old boy 2 shirts, 2 pants, 1 pj, a video game, lego set, movie. Now the thing is with the rest of my budget should I get the mom a shirt or two OR " get a $50 grocery card for a Christmas dinner. As this is probably all the family will get I feel bad leaving the mom out but I know a meal would be welcome.

I thought about making the mom a scarf, fingerless gloves and a hat. What do you guys think? She did put her shoe size, shirt and pant size, but she also mentioned a gift card for food?

1. Buy her clothes
    2. Crochet her something
    3. Get a grocery store gift certificate

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    How about giving her an American Express, Visa or Mastercard gift card so she can buy whatever she likes? Then, she could buy whatever would make her feel well-loved. Adding a special message expressing this sentiment would let her know you were thinking of her. It gives her an opportunity to make choices! If you choose to, why not crochet her a hat or some small item too. May God richly bless you for your kindness!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Butterflyrose both on the gift cards, which can also be used (as far as I know) in supermarkets if she chooses to go that route. And a small handmade item would make her feel very special also.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Butterflyrose on the Mastercard or Visa card, since she could buy what ever she like. If not, maybe you can make something for her, she would be very happy
    Last edited by simpsonnguyen; 11-21-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would buy her the gift card and make her a pretty scarf, too. It won't take long and I'm sure she'll love it. Most people love getting homemade crochet items.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everyone, the gift card and perhaps something you made. Warm gloves and a scarf would be wonderful now that the weather has gotten colder.

Post Thanks / Like
    #3: Gift Card!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the time I think a hat and scarf set would be a great gift along with a gift card. As we all know "Mom" comes last. She will probably use the gift card for food or for the children. I am sure she would use and treasure something just for herself.

Post Thanks / Like
    A gift card is definitely good to buy, I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to crochet an infinity scarf and a hat and buy a visa gift card that can be used anywhere rather than a grocery store card which would be limited. I don't know why I didn't think of that.