Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Morning Friends

Post Thanks / Like

Morning Friends

Morning everyone,
    Today i have no plans and no friends that can come over. Anyone else interested in a conversation? Sometimes I just feel like I am the most boring person in the world and that no one really would want to hang out with me anyway. I have a son and all my friends don't have kids yet. So just trying to find some company for today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning Ivy, I'm sure you have lots of friends dear! It's just sometimes they are busy and can't always chat. I'm just playing on the computer and having a late breakfast. LOL I am making a Turtle Shell Blanket and Hat set for my Granddaughter, her baby boy is due soon, so I have to finish it up. Also working on a Sweater for one of the Great Granddaughters, the sleeves don't look right, might have to rip it out and start over on sleeve! LOL
    Well, I better go start laundry, this is the only day I have off of work. Have a wonderful day hun!
    Landy

3. Thanks Ivy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LandrieaJ View Post
    Good Morning Ivy, I'm sure you have lots of friends dear! It's just sometimes they are busy and can't always chat. I'm just playing on the computer and having a late breakfast. LOL I am making a Turtle Shell Blanket and Hat set for my Granddaughter, her baby boy is due soon, so I have to finish it up. Also working on a Sweater for one of the Great Granddaughters, the sleeves don't look right, might have to rip it out and start over on sleeve! LOL
    Well, I better go start laundry, this is the only day I have off of work. Have a wonderful day hun!
    Landy
    Thank you and yeah I understand that I usually have a full schedule but sundays and mondays I usually dont have much to do other than crochet and take care of my son. I hope the blanket and sweater come out great! Thanks for writing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Ivy! I am in WA state and it was 14 when I got up at 7 AM, with fog!!!! Ground is covered with frost too. We are going to watch the Seahawks game in a bit and I am trying to finish Earth/Sky afghan for Project Linus (brown/blue variegated with brown accent). Have a great day today. Hugs, Shirley

6. Thanks Ivy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Good morning Ivy! I am in WA state and it was 14 when I got up at 7 AM, with fog!!!! Ground is covered with frost too. We are going to watch the Seahawks game in a bit and I am trying to finish Earth/Sky afghan for Project Linus (brown/blue variegated with brown accent). Have a great day today. Hugs, Shirley
    Wow that's insane. I am in Maryland so it gets cold but no frost or snow yet. I bet the afghan looks amazing! Thanks for the reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Ivy, and welcome from Alabama.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been a single mom of 2 boys for 20 years. I've never had family living close by and their dad always lived out of state. I was completely alone raising them by myself. When my boys were little it was so difficult for me to get together with my friends, and to go places with them. Either they didn't have young children, or they were married and I didn't feel like I fit in as a third wheel. When my friends would invite me to go places with them I'd have to find a babysitter, and I couldn't always afford one because I never had enough money. People didn't understand what it was like to be a single mom and it made me feel isolated and very much alone. It was so hard for me to deal with.

I felt I had no choice but to give in and completely focus on my boys, so that's what I did. There were a lot of things I did that made it fun for them and didn't cost me any money. It gave me a little break even though they were with me. We'd go to the library every Saturday to get lots of books and movies for the week. I'd try to be there when they had story time for the kids. That gave me a chance to browse by myself and gave me a few minutes of alone time.

I had a big old sleeping bag - we called it the "picnic blanket" - and I'd spread it out on the floor so my boys could have snacks and drinks in the living room. I'd fix them a tray of cut up cheese and fruit, and let them eat it with toothpicks. They loved that! I'd pop in a movie that we'd all enjoy. I'd do the same thing in the evenings and we'd have "movie night" with pop corn. I'd sometimes take that blanket and put it over the kitchen table to make them a fort. I'd give them each a flashlight and they'd spend the afternoon camping out in the kitchen, dragging all their toys into their fort. Sometimes I'd make them homemade play dough and let them play with it, of course with the picnic blanket under the kitchen table.

I longed for the time when they were old enough to not need a babysitter. But when that time rolled around, I didn't want to leave them alone because of all the trouble they could get into. So it was the same thing for me. I could have felt like I was stuck at home with them, or I could entertain myself and be there with them.

Can you make plans several days before and get someone lined up to watch your son so you can go out? Do you have a friend with children and you can trade off watching them to give you a little break and a chance to go out? Even if it's only once a month it'll be worth it.

Do you have a children's park near you? Sometimes, I'd go there even when my boys were babies. It gave me a chance to interact with other adults. There was always someone there just talk to.

All the sacrifices I made for my kids was so worth it after the fact. My boys are now 21 and 24 and living on their own. They still will say, "Mom, can we have a movie night?" Finally, I'm able to focus completely on the things I want to do. I didn't think the day would ever come. When my boys were growing up it felt like an eternity before they were grown.

Hang in there and be good to yourself. You have to in order to be the best mom to your son. I know it sometimes doesn't feel like it's worth it to have to plan ahead, but it is.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I admire your strength as a single mother who raised 2 boys on her own. Well I am not a single mother, I am engaged to my son's father but his interest mostly lie with video games. I usually have my son with me most of the day, just a habit, so he gets to enjoy his games. I live in Maryland so I need a car to get anywhere including the library and the park. I would love to go to a library but being that my son is only 1 year old so he wouldn't really do much there. He also doesn't pay too much attention to movies. He loves getting into things he shouldn't and climbing and jumping. He's just a wild one year old boy that eventually gets bored with mommy too. I have suggested to my fiancé that we have a date night some time because we haven't had one for about a month now but our date nights are more than usual just going to dinner then a movie. There isn't much we can do in the evening when the only people who we can get and trust completely to watch our son are his grandparents. When he gets a little older I know it will be easier to do more with my son but right now I can't do very much that involves outside right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Hello Ivy, and welcome from Alabama.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been a single mom of 2 boys for 20 years. I've never had family living close by and their dad always lived out of state. I was completely alone raising them by myself. When my boys were little it was so difficult for me to get together with my friends, and to go places with them. Either they didn't have young children, or they were married and I didn't feel like I fit in as a third wheel. When my friends would invite me to go places with them I'd have to find a babysitter, and I couldn't always afford one because I never had enough money. People didn't understand what it was like to be a single mom and it made me feel isolated and very much alone. It was so hard for me to deal with.

I felt I had no choice but to give in and completely focus on my boys, so that's what I did. There were a lot of things I did that made it fun for them and didn't cost me any money. It gave me a little break even though they were with me. We'd go to the library every Saturday to get lots of books and movies for the week. I'd try to be there when they had story time for the kids. That gave me a chance to browse by myself and gave me a few minutes of alone time.

I had a big old sleeping bag - we called it the "picnic blanket" - and I'd spread it out on the floor so my boys could have snacks and drinks in the living room. I'd fix them a tray of cut up cheese and fruit, and let them eat it with toothpicks. They loved that! I'd pop in a movie that we'd all enjoy. I'd do the same thing in the evenings and we'd have "movie night" with pop corn. I'd sometimes take that blanket and put it over the kitchen table to make them a fort. I'd give them each a flashlight and they'd spend the afternoon camping out in the kitchen, dragging all their toys into their fort. Sometimes I'd make them homemade play dough and let them play with it, of course with the picnic blanket under the kitchen table.

I longed for the time when they were old enough to not need a babysitter. But when that time rolled around, I didn't want to leave them alone because of all the trouble they could get into. So it was the same thing for me. I could have felt like I was stuck at home with them, or I could entertain myself and be there with them.

Can you make plans several days before and get someone lined up to watch your son so you can go out? Do you have a friend with children and you can trade off watching them to give you a little break and a chance to go out? Even if it's only once a month it'll be worth it.

Do you have a children's park near you? Sometimes, I'd go there even when my boys were babies. It gave me a chance to interact with other adults. There was always someone there just talk to.

All the sacrifices I made for my kids was so worth it after the fact. My boys are now 21 and 24 and living on their own. They still will say, "Mom, can we have a movie night?" Finally, I'm able to focus completely on the things I want to do. I didn't think the day would ever come. When my boys were growing up it felt like an eternity before they were grown.

Hang in there and be good to yourself. You have to in order to be the best mom to your son. I know it sometimes doesn't feel like it's worth it to have to plan ahead, but it is.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! I am going to bed... just wanted to say Hello. It was one sock day LOL knit sock
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a fine day lol good night
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    Hello! I am going to bed... just wanted to say Hello. It was one sock day LOL knit sock