Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: New Member

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm a Canadian member from the east coast of Canada. Currently I am in the US for the weather. I guess you can call me a Snow Bird.
    I started crocheting about a year ago while I was in Florida as I do not have my sewing machine here. I guess you can say that crocheting is one of my winter hobbies.
    The only thing I am really interested in crocheting and sewing are clothes for 18" dolls. I have been having trouble trying to find an assortment of free patterns for doll sweaters, coats and hats. I have a limited few that work ok and have also purchased several but have been very disappointed in the results as the garments usually end up being too large for a doll and more suitable for an infant.
    Since I am new I have not had any experience on knowing how to calculate whether or not an item will fit until it is nearly finished. That gets very frustrating.
    If anyone knows how to find a wider range of patterns that work out well I would certainly love to know.
    I am hoping this forum group will be exactly the help I need to keep me from having to crochet the same pattern over and over again.
    Thanks,
    Peggy S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome it is so nice to meet you. www.Ravelry.com
    Red Heart Yarn | Yarn, Knitting Patterns, Crochet Patterns are two sites i found some there are more. I will have to look up my patterns to see what the other ones are and will get them to you when I find them

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much, Sonnetta. I'll check out those sites. If you have any other information I would be grateful to hear about it. I am really eager to try some new patterns. I am not really interested in crocheting dresses or pants or other items like that. I want to do things that a real person would normally wear. I mean a crocheted bating suit definitely does not cut it with me. I have seen that sort of thing online but I need sweaters, hats, coats, vests, ponchos, capes. Items you could conceivably expect to see made with yarn. I have not tried anything yet with crochet thread. I normally try to use light to medium weight baby yarn. I still have a lot to learn about crocheting. Also I am hoping that this winter I might learn how to knit. I will see if I have time to take some classes. However if I find some new crochet patterns I may not need to learn how to knit. Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Peggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the Crochet Talk forums! It is nice to meet you! Please make your self comfy here and let us know if you need anything!

Also, if you use the search box in the upper right hand corner of the page, you can find some resources which have been posted here in the forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Barbara. I will look through it and see what I can find. Sometimes preemie sweeter and cap patterns can work too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Peggy! It isn't an original idea but have you tried Google images for patterns? I have had good luck many times looking for amigurumi patterns. Just a thought,maybe it will help you. Again, welcome. imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the welcome. I have spent many hours online going through all kinds of sites suggested by Google. I have found everything I already have that way. After trying several of them, purchased and free, I have found a few that work and fit the dolls well. Others are way too large. Since I am so new to dealing with yarns it is possible that what I am using is the problem most of the time. However, where I live, finding the recommended yarns by brand name is definitely not easy. Anyway, I will continue to work with it and try to learn how to adjust my patterns to fit.
    Thanks for your help.
    Peggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Peggy! It s nice to meet you. I am Larisa doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larisa. Nice to meet you too. I see that you are from eastern Europe. I am from eastern Canada.
    My daughter travels all over Europe all the time. Next week she is off to Paris, Moscow and then London. Which country do you live in?
    Peggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Peggy! Unfortunately I am in Ukraine... Do you have a cat? I have 5 birds - Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן