Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

crochet injuries

Sounds sort of silly but does anyone have serious health issues due to crocheting? I went to the doctor the other day because my neck is killing me and I'm having bad headaches. They feel because I crochet often that my neck is in an unnatural position for hours a day causing arthritis. I have to go to physical therapy 3 times a week trying to get some relief. Then he wants me to wear a neck collar to keep my head straight and practice crochet in that position to re train myself to crochet more ergonomically.

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi debbie no its not silly. I have OA in hands, knees, back, shoulders, RELAX Body & neck brace. is good. Some exercise for this on internet? Just dont frett & do hooking with ease relax arms & do for a short time , break & another hour or so. I hope you can keep on as its so relaxing really. What do you like to crochet?? me kitchen items, lapghans, small eay things.

Susan2014 Just googled and link with many patterns for carpalTunnel

https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.nLAHezCWYxo
    Last edited by Susan2014; 11-04-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far, I haven't experienced any major problems when crocheting. How are you sitting when you crochet? You may be tense without realizing it also. Hope the physical therapy helps. And I agree, take breaks when you find you are getting headaches.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Debbie! So sorry about your injuries. I'm sure that the physical therapy will help and I would guess that they will suggest some neck exercises,also. I would encourage you to do them. I had a neck injury and the exercises given to me by a neurosurgeon actually realigned the vertebrae in my neck! This was due to a swimming accident. I have found that crochet is so good for the arthritis in my hands! Good luck with your recovery!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Debbie, hope your therapy helps you! I had Carpel tunnel which was from crocheting and also I curled my wrists toward me holding my blankets at night sleeping. So I had to rest from crocheting for awhile and wore braces on both wrist at night. They kept me from bending my wrists as I slept. I was lucky and skipped the surgery. I don't wear them now but I'm careful not to pick up heavy objects with one hand and rest when crocheting so that don't ache.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Debbie...Give yourself time off from crocheting from time to time..Does not seem odd to develope areas of pain...even when doing thngs we love to do..I can only crochet for short bursts!
    Hang in there...

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have carpal tunnel issues at work from typing on a keyboard and using a mouse. I had to wear wrist braces at work. I switched to an ergonomic keyboard and mouse and it went away. I also had a terrible neck injury from falling off a horse 19 years ago. It caused me a LOT of problems and surgery for a cervical fusion. I need a second fusion but have been stalling another surgery. I'm so blessed that I wasn't paralyzed fr om the neck down! I dread having 3 vertebra fused together with a plate in the front of my neck. It's scary that my neurosurgeon will have to scrape all the arthritis and stenosis away from my vertebra and so close to my spinal cord.

I've found that when I'm in deep concentration on a difficult crochet pattern, my neck and shoulders become very stiff and tensed up. I also put pillows under my elbows when I'm crocheting. It raises up my hands closer to my face and helps to keep my head more straight and relaxed. Maybe you could try this? The pillows work great for me and really help to keep my neck more aligned in a natural position.

You can also get ergonomic crochet hooks. That might help with your hands.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have neck problems from reading, you basicly hold your head the same way when you read as when you crochet. Because of that I can't crochet for very long at a time. I guit reading almost all together. Doing excercise does help plus I also get shots in my neck. Which really helped.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was crocheting a bright pink dog coat for a friend and developed a sore throat with cold like symptoms. It seemed to get worse at night and subside during the day. I attributed it to the night air, not thinking that I was crocheting at night. Finally, I figured it out that the dye in the yarn was giving me these symptoms, since I could smell some kind of chemical odor when I was around the yarn. Since then I have realized that certain colors of yarn will cause breathing problems, sore throat, and just general feeling unwell as will certain fiber contents of yarn. It seems the more intense the color the more chance there is that it could cause a health problem. Solved the problem by wearing a mask when crocheting. Not exactly an attractive fashion statement but it works.

11. Likes MeerKat liked this post