Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: New to knitting

Post Thanks / Like

Angry New to knitting

Although I love crochet and have been able to do a lot with it,I felt that I needed a change and a challenge,so I am trying knitting. For me,knitting is deceptively easy. I find the U tube videos very helpful and used four of them on a project that I started the other day. By saying that knitting is deceptively easy,I mean that I chose what I think will be a fairly easy pattern,learn how to make it, and then make about every mistake possible,rip out the whole thing and start over numerous times! To say that I am a perfectionist is an understatement. I guess to knit takes patience,time and perseverance! I am in awe of all you knitters!
    Attached Images Attached Images New to knitting-20141102_110959-jpg New to knitting-20141102_111031-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    I've recently been teaching myself how to knit, too. I've been crocheting for decades but, like you, I wanted the challenge of knowing how to knit. I've made several "practice" swatches. I'm afraid to start on any projects because I'm a huge perfectionist, too, lol. I've also found the YouTube videos very helpful. I need to learn more stitches besides the knit and purl stitches. I find that knitting tends to "roll" up on the sides. I don't know which stitches would make my swatches lay flat. It's very slooooow going for me.

Shelley

3. Thanks Dona thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for responding,Shelley. I haven't had the problem of knitting rolling. You may be knitting a little too tight as I tended to do initially. Later,when I was able to loosen my tension,the knitting looked better and was easier. I tend to get comfortable,lose my focus,and make mistakes. I haven't become proficient in correcting my mistakes even though I make a lot. I have completed some dish cloths and a cowl,however. The dish cloths are nice to make and not as scraey as launching a big project. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't give up, you gals. Knitting can be lots of fun and, for lack of a better description my part . . . I find knitted garments to be more delicate, That doesn't sound right to me. I don't know what words I need to use to convey what I want to say about knitting. lol!

I say don't give up. The very first thing I knitted was a knock-out, drop-dead gorgeous Nordic ski sweater I made for my son. After much trial and error I managed to get it made successfully. Without anyone to help me out. And no dad-blamed internet to find help. I wish I had some photos of him wearing it but I never thought of that at the time.

Shelley, I'll bet that it's the stockinette stitching (knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit1 row, purl one row, etc.) that's curling your edges. Once you start seaming pieces together that rolling goes away.

A definite plus I find with knitting is that most garment patterns I find that I really like are knitted garments.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

6. Thanks Dona thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dona and Pixieglitter,
    For most patterns, all you need to know how to do is cast on, knit, purl, and bind off stitches.

8. Thanks Dona thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Many crocheters find it easier to learn and do continental knitting. Continental is yarn feeding to the needles from the left hand (for R hand knitters/crocheters) instead of yarn feeding from the right hand. And, it's the same hand you feed yarn to the hook for crochet stitches. There are a lot of good videos on UTube. Search "continental knitting" and choose one that tells it the way you understand it.
    I initially learned traditional knitting - "throwing" the yarn with the right hand and right hand fed yarn. I really prefer crocheting, but occasionally do a knit project. Hearing that some crocheters liked continental knit, I tried it and practiced awhile. Purling especially takes some practice. Now, I love it and find going back and forth between knitting and crocheting projects is less confusing now that I continental knit.

If you're looking for a good discussion group on knitting, try knitting paradise.com Every level of expertise there and I've learned a ton by watching the posts, just as on this great discussion list. Good luck! And especially, Have FUN!

10. Thanks Dona thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

new to knitting

I am also new to knitting and I have a lot to learn. I'm teaching myself to knit doing small projects such as scarves, dish cloths etc. My next project will be a small hat and see how it turns out.

12. Thanks Dona thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you just starting to knit,
    Remember, when you knit, the yarn is in the back and when you purl, the yarn is in the front.
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, that's all I know how to do is knit and purl. And saying that is a real stretch for me, I'm not very good at it lol. I need to watch more YouTube videos. I'll see my mom at Christmas time and have her work with me some. She's an excellent advanced knitter.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Poinciana, I know exactly what you mean when you say knitting is more delicate. It's not as thick as crochet and not so bulky. I wouldn't think of making a crochet sweater; for me, it should be knitted. Baby sweaters are different. I crocheted some of them and liked them because they're made with finer yarn. I also knit my socks. I think crochet would make them too thick. I love both crafts.
    For the beginner knitters, don't give up. Knit and purl is all there is to it. I suggest doing dishcloths and doing some with patterns in them so you can practice the slip stitch, yarn over, knitting stitches together and stuff like that. Once you've gained experience, you can move on to more challenging pieces.
    Pixieglitter, it's normal for your piece to roll up on the side if you knit one row and purl the next and continue with this pattern. As Poinciana said, you're not doing anything wrong. As they say "practice makes perfect" so keep at it ladies, you'll be glad you did.