Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Alert! Bogus phone call!

BEWARE!!!! THIS IS FOR EVERYONE! I JUST RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM CALIFORNIA. THIS IS THE NUMBER:661-695-5199. THEY SAID SOMETHING TO THIS EFFECT: YOUR CREDIT CARD HAS BEEN DE-ACTIVATED ...IF YOU WOULD LIKE IT RE-ACTIVATED ...PRESS 1 AND IF NOT THEN PRESS 2... then THEY ASKED FOR MY 16 DIGIT CARD NUMBER!!!!!! They didn't get it ... I hung up and called the number on the back of my card and told them about it. They said don't give any information...they are just trying to get your number. So that is why I am posting this information so you will know what's up!!!! I also called my bank and they said the same thing and told me to call the number on the back of my card too. Patty

2. Thanks little drummer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, so far they haven't called my number yet but if they do, it will be blocked using the call blocker device I bought on Amazon. Works great, I can not only block individual numbers but entire area codes. Actually, I just blocked it manually so they will be cut off if they do call after one ring. I also just googled the number and there are several reports about other people getting the same type of call. I would also file a complaint with donotcall, just to make them aware that these scammers are attempting to solicit information.

Roe

4. Thanks redhead thanked for this post
    Likes Lili liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get calls all the time about my Credit Card, I just hang up, because I have no credit cards, don't believe in them. I have no will power when it comes to buying with them.

6. Thanks redhead thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    I get calls all the time about my Credit Card, I just hang up, because I have no credit cards, don't believe in them. I have no will power when it comes to buying with them.
    Good for you girl! I wish I didn't have one but I do. Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the alert. I don't answer any phone calls unless I know the number. I have an answering machine, so if it's important and/or someone I know, they'll leave a message and I'll answer or call back, then. Otherwise, I don't even answer to strange numbers.

9. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hobbies View Post
    Thanks for the alert. I don't answer any phone calls unless I know the number. I have an answering machine, so if it's important and/or someone I know, they'll leave a message and I'll answer or call back, then. Otherwise, I don't even answer to strange numbers.
    I am like you. I don't answer numbers I do not know. I have a list of numbers that I need to know so if I see a number I look at that list and if it is not on it then I don't answer it . I have a magic jack and all my messages go to my computer and I listen to them on there.

11. Thanks redhead thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Patty, I got several things on my E Mail saying that the payment for a airline ticket to the amount of $258 had been taken out of my credit card. My bank is about 5 blocks so the next morning I was at the bank. They went thru all the list on the card and found nothing. I guess I was suppose to get on the line and give them the numbers . I just deleted it and didn't give out any info. My daughter said if you don't know who they are , don't answer them. And don't give any info to someone on the phone .If someone calls on the phone and you answer it and find out what is going on , a lady from the phone co. said to ask them for their number and you will call them back. If it is a scam they can't hang up fast enough. Margaret.

13. Thanks redhead, MeerKat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up, Party. We don't answer our phone unless we recognize the number. We let the call go to the answering machine. Most often they don't leave a message; they just hang up. It's getting pretty bad when you're afraid to use the credit card you've had for years, or to answer your phone because it might be a scam. Well, I'll just continue to pray that the Good Lord continues to watch over and protect us all from the evil things of this world. Bless you all.

15. Thanks redhead thanked for this post
    Likes MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Patty, if I don't know the number I let answering machine take it. They have learned if I haven't answered by the alotted number of rings I have set for the answering machine they hang up before machine comes on. I figure if it is an important call they will leave a message. Plus I check the number that's calling. Been a lot of political calls lately. Our local tv news has been good on giving a heads up on these scams. And you can tell telemarketers to take your number off their call lists. You can always call better business bureau too. What is this world coming to, as my grandmother always said.

17. Thanks redhead thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend got the "grandma" call the other day, they pretend to be your grandchild stuck in jail in Mexico or overseas, and couldn't you please send the bail money? She has no grandchildren, but I've heard some folks were actually fooled by this. I got "free airplane tickets", a free rental car, and if I called immediately, a gift card to spend on my trip! I think the scam is that you have to give your cc number for the "Taxes" or whatever, and that's the scam! This came in the mail, BTW.

19. Thanks redhead thanked for this post