Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the 3rd chain?

Hi,
    Let's just say that the dots are stitches.

. chain 5
    . chain 4
    . chain 3
    . chain 2
    . chain 1
    . where you have your crochet hook

let's say that the bottom dot is where you have your crochet hook and the pattern says to chain 5 so the top dot would be your 5th chain, then you crochet around and the pattern tells you to slip stitch in the 3rd chain of beg ch-5. The chain you slip stitch in is the 4th dot from the bottom right?

or if a pattern says to sl st in 3rd ch from hook it's the 4th ch right cause you don't count the 1st one because your 2nd one is actually the first chain?
    Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    The dot for the placement of your hook is just a loop on the hook, so the first chain is actually the first chain.

1 23 45 {hook}
    Let's look at it this way, each dash is a chain, and the asterisk is the loop on the hook.
    So the asterisk {the loop on the hook} is not counted. The first chain from the hook, in this example, is #5. So you count #5, #4, and #3. #3 would be your 3rd chain from the hook, so you would slip stitch into that chain.

Does this make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    RH-I couldn't figure out how to explain it but you are right on! Applause to you! imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I thought but the pattern says to ch 5 and then go all the way around and sl st into the 3rd ch of beg ch-5 so what is the 3rd chain? So your hook is on a loop from the last st you made at the end of the round so when you started the round your hook had been on a loop and you chained 5 so the 4th ch from the bottom is actually the 3rd ch right? I think so cause if I sl st in the 4th ch from the bottom(actually the 3rd ch) then you have another ch(the 4th ch) and then I have a dc st (so when you crochet the dc st you go through 2 loops and then 2 loops again so the 2nd time you go through the 2 loops(the last loop of the 2 loops is the next ch that you started with which is your 5th ch from the ch 5.

- (the ch 5 at the beg of round)
    - (the loop your hook is on at the end of the round)

Also, I started a baby blanket and I ran into some thicker yarn like I did when I did the scarf but I went ahead and crocheted w/it. Anyways, I'm at the end of row 2 and it says to ch 1 and turn but at the beg of the 3rd row it says to ch 1. Why does it do that? Why does it say to ch 1 twice?
    Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I thought you meant the very beginning was a ch5. When you ch5 at the start of a round, and then say for an example, dc all the way around the piece and come back to your beginning ch5, that counts as a (dc, ch2)... so you count the chains, and basically, the middle stitch is the one you go into for this one, since there are 2 on top and 2 on bottom. The way I count them is I start from the first actual stitch made on the round, right next to the beginning ch5, and count the chains backwards. I will see if I can take a couple pictures of it to show you in a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    And as far as the baby blanket, read more into the pattern.... is the pattern going to be sc, ch 1, sc, ch 1? If so, at the beginning of the row/round, you would technically ch 2, which is why you would ch 1, turn, then ch 1 more.... I normally just ch 2 then turn if this is the case. If the sc, ch 1, sc, ch 1, etc., is not part of the pattern, then I would say it's a mistake in the pattern and only to ch1 then turn, then continue on with the stitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I'm on row 4. I did the 6 dc into same sp as last st but what is the next ch sp? Is the space between the next 2 dc the next ch sp? but there isn't a ch between the 2 dc's so what is the ch sp?
    MoCrochet: More V's Please - 12" Square
    Jean
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 10-22-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pattern for the baby blanket is Diamond Bobble Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern | FaveCrafts.com
    I'm going to go ahead and chain at the end of row 2 and also at the beginning of row 3 like it says.

I'm having trouble on row 4. Can someone chain about 16, 18 or 20 and see if they can figure out how to do row 4?

Jean Marie
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 10-23-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning I'm not sure I can help but I'll try. lol When you are trying to do the stitch are you looking at picture also? Some times I have to have some one else read the pattern to me. My poor friend has no clue what she's reading but it helps. I get the pattern but that doesn't help you. All I can say is to read the words and understand the meaning. No were are you to chain 16 or 18 chains at one space. I have faith in you, you can do this. I know sometimes we read the pattern so much we just keep thinking what we think it says. Put it down and walk away for awhile. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    Good morning I'm not sure I can help but I'll try. lol When you are trying to do the stitch are you looking at picture also? Some times I have to have some one else read the pattern to me. My poor friend has no clue what she's reading but it helps. I get the pattern but that doesn't help you. All I can say is to read the words and understand the meaning. No were are you to chain 16 or 18 chains at one space. I have faith in you, you can do this. I know sometimes we read the pattern so much we just keep thinking what we think it says. Put it down and walk away for awhile. Good luck
    Hi Billiebob,
    I was having trouble on the 4th row on the baby blanket and I thought noone would want to chain the 126 like it says that's why I suggested to chain 16, 18 or 20 but I am on row 7 now. It's going good. I had taken out the part of row 5 that I had done to see where I was doing the bobbles. It's pretty easy. If I get stuck I'll let you know. Like I said I'm on row 7.

On the 'more v's please' - square - I thought I was having trouble but I got it out and I'm not having any trouble with it.
    Jean