Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Question mobius scarf vs infinity scarf

What is the difference between a crochet mobius scarf and an infinity scarf?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a quick google search and one site seemed to show a mobius as being twisted when worn and an infinity just longer. Then others said they are the same thing, only with a different name. Hope someone else can help a little more. Now I am curious too.

Roe

3. Thanks RaeMH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago when the infinity scarf became quite popular, all long circular scarves were called "infinity" scarves because there was no beginning or end, therefore a sign of infinity like a circle. A true mobius scarf is when you make a long rectangle and flip one end before attaching together....attaching a top corner and bottom corner at the top and bottom when attaching the two sides together. In the last few years, all scarves that make a circle have been called "infinity" scarves. If you try to tell someone that you like their "mobius" scarf, they look at you like you've lost your marbles because they've never heard of the word "mobius". If you are willing to take the time to explain a "mobius" scarf as opposed to an "infinity" scarf, that's up to you. I have tried to explain the difference to quite a few people for whom I've made mobius scarves. They still call it an infinity scarf and I really don't mind at all. I am thankful they like what I've made for them and for me that's the best part. Mobius is the defination of the turning of the end before attaching it to the other end. When finished, it still makes a circle therefore becoming a sign of infinity with no beginning or end.. Hope this helps a little bit. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

5. Thanks RaeMH thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley and Roe,
    Many thanks for your explanation of the mobius vs infinity scarf. I now know that what I made my granddaughter last year was really a mobius scarf. She thought it was the infinity scarf that she asked me to make. When looking for patterns of infinity scarf, I can not find any but I found plenty of mobius scarf patterns. There are no directions as to how to attach the ends. Now I know. Peace, Rae

7. Thanks seashells_Shelly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the patterns that actually make the mobius all at once, crocheting around both edges rather than joining at the end. If you want it long enough to go around your neck twice, make your original row that long, or lay it around your shoulders. Here is the one that got me started. It is Mikey's One-hour Mobius on The Crochet Crowd. However, I've made lots of different stitches and yarns into mobius scarves since I learned the technique: {"robots":"","author":"Michael Sellick"} And, here is another http://offdahook.net/2012/12/madness-mobius/
    Last edited by billieconrad; 10-23-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add a sentence

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thanks.

Thanks for the info and link. I am anxious to try one or more. Rae

10. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells_Shelly View Post
    A few years ago when the infinity scarf became quite popular, all long circular scarves were called "infinity" scarves because there was no beginning or end, therefore a sign of infinity like a circle. A true mobius scarf is when you make a long rectangle and flip one end before attaching together....attaching a top corner and bottom corner at the top and bottom when attaching the two sides together. In the last few years, all scarves that make a circle have been called "infinity" scarves. If you try to tell someone that you like their "mobius" scarf, they look at you like you've lost your marbles because they've never heard of the word "mobius". If you are willing to take the time to explain a "mobius" scarf as opposed to an "infinity" scarf, that's up to you. I have tried to explain the difference to quite a few people for whom I've made mobius scarves. They still call it an infinity scarf and I really don't mind at all. I am thankful they like what I've made for them and for me that's the best part. Mobius is the defination of the turning of the end before attaching it to the other end. When finished, it still makes a circle therefore becoming a sign of infinity with no beginning or end.. Hope this helps a little bit. Hugs, Shelly
    Thank you, Shelly. I've been crocheting for 45 years & in ALL that time, I never really thought about the differences or even really noticed that there was. I never gave any thought as to why one was called a mobius or the other was called an infinity. I just thought one was longer than the other. But I'm glad I know now.

12. Thanks seashells_Shelly thanked for this post