Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips for photographing crochet or knit projects (Member Share Thread)

For those of you who take photos regularly of your crochet or knit projects, would you like to share some tips with the other members on how to get the best results?

I will get us started here:

Make sure your lighting is good for taking photos, especially for indoors.

Choose a background which does not "compete" with the item you are photographing.

If you have a crochet or knit business, consider using photo props in your photos.

Do you have other tips which may be useful when photographing crochet or knit items?

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to drape any afghans or shawls so that you can see the majority of the item. I have taken scarves and put them around stuffed animals to get a cute look.

Roe

3. Likes Poinciana, Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    For those of you who take photos regularly of your crochet or knit projects, would you like to share some tips with the other members on how to get the best results?

I will get us started here:

Make sure your lighting is good for taking photos, especially for indoors.

Choose a background which does not "compete" with the item you are photographing.

If you have a crochet or knit business, consider using photo props in your photos.

Do you have other tips which may be useful when photographing crochet or knit items?
    Excellent tips, Barbara. My first, and most important, suggestion also has to do with the correct lighting. If you can shoot outdoors in natural daylight is the best. Hang your big pieces, afghans, etc., draped over a clothesline or a lounge.

The angle at which you take the photo is very important, too. Have you ever seen pro photographers climb on a stepladder to find a good angle? It works wonders. If laying your smaller items on a bed or table top if you stand on a little stepladder you can get a better shot.

Another tip is to put an object in the photo which will give an indication of the size of your item. You can use a ruler for some. You should use an object of a "known-to-the-viewer" size. At this particular moment I can think of only one example. I was photographing a stationary, on static display, locomotive. A BIG locomotive, but with nothing of a known-size in the photo, there was no way for the viewer to get an idea of the size of the train engine. So I put my parents in the photo. They were standing together looking up at the locomotive, BUT NOT facing the camera. The result was a fabulous photo that allowed the viewer to get an idea of the size.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

5. Thanks Nova55, Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that lighting is important along with a background that does not distract from the item.