Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

New from Perth, Australia

Hello all. My first post! :-)

I started crocheting in March 2014 when I was diagnosed with Non Hodkins Lymphoma as something to do while I underwent 6 hours of chemotherapy every three weeks. I never in a million years thought I would get hooked (pun intended) and now cant go a day without having a hook and yarn in hand. I have now been told I am in remission so having to start looking for a real job again. That means I wont be crocheting all day!! Could be a hard habit to break. :-)

I have made numerous things (mostly from bobwilson123 on YouTube - just love her tutorials and I think she is an amazing person) and these have been given away to family and friends though I have managed to sell a couple of slouchy hats and that paid for the yarn.

I went along to the Royal Show a couple of weeks ago and saw some of the creations from other people and made inquiries about entering pieces. Long story short I have nine pieces entered into another show this weekend. I am really nervous and excited to see how well my work compares with others. Heres hoping I dont make a complete idiot of myself.

Looking forward to going through this forum and seeing what others are doing. It is nice to not feel so alone as most people I know think crochet died out years ago and is only for old people! I am only 51 years young and loving it.

Thanks for reading. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Cathy! I am 52 and I enjoy crocheting also.
    Jean Marie

3. Likes CathyT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome aboard!

It is great to have you here among crochet friends! Hope you enjoy the forums and please let us know if you have need of anything. This is a wonderful group who love to help as much as possible! Happy crocheting!

5. Thanks CathyT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I am Larisa doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Cathy. Like most of the ladies on here, I learned to crochet when I was about 12 years old from a lady that lived near us. Most of these ladies here will tell you their grandmothers taught them. And most of them will tell you about the groups they know that do different things for charities. I was really surprised of all the groups here in my little town. I think it is fantastic that so many of us from all over this world can get together and talk about something we all enjoy doing . Send some Pictures if you can. Margaret.

8. Thanks CathyT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larisa. I cannot make doilies very well and I have a tight tension and they seem to just curl up on me all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cathy! It comes with experience. I think my first doilies were not good at all. But ironing made them to good shape LOL. Now i work on filet doilies. They are flat by their nature - Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

11. Thanks CathyT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    CathyT, welcome to the forum! Hope to get to know you! I learned to crochet from my mom and grandma too. I crochet doilies, prayer shawls, scarves, bookmarks, etc. I'm 49, and live and work on the family wheat farm. So happy to know you're in remission! I hope you are pleasantly surprised on your entries. Will say a prayer for your continued remission and good health!

13. Thanks CathyT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome from Pa. Nice to have you with us. I and loved to crochet about 40 years ago. I am 67 years old and I don't think you get to old

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, thank you so much for watching my videos

16. Likes CathyT liked this post