Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

granny square afghan help

I am starting a granny square afghan and wonder if I am suppose to block my squares before putting them together. How do I do that? I've never crocheted an afghan such as this before. I've crocheted several ripple afghan's but that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally would block after you put the afghan together, you can go online and buy the soak to block your afghan. I just put mine in water with very little soap and let soak, then I rinse in clean water. Squish out the water, do not wring it out. Place on blocking board and pin it to shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    I, personally, have never blocked a granny square afghan and currently I am in the middle of a huge (like 70 by 96 inches) join as you go granny. Once I edge it, it comes out fine.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I never block yarn, only doily thread. With yarn granny squares, once you join the squares and put the final outer border on it all, it is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for responding to my question. I'm glad to know I don't need to block. It will save me a lot time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard of blocking a granny square aphagan, so the term is new to me. I have never done it, and all of mine have come out fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to frame my granny squares with another color such as black or white. Are there tricks to do this that I might not know from googling on the internet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use either black or white, depending on the recipient, as the joining color when I do my join as you afghans. Currently, I am doing a 70 by 96 inch one using white as the joining color. I just make sure the tails are long enough after I knot (I do a lot of knotting) and then weave them in. Not sure if that is what you mean.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you, and don't block my afghans. Though, I have never made one from 100% wool, and that might be a different story.