Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

4.5 crochet hook

I have been to Michael's, hobby lobby, Beverly's, even walmart and I can find a 4.0 or a 4.25 but not a 4.5 which a lot of patterns call for. Why is this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by debbie67 View Post
    I have been to Michael's, hobby lobby, Beverly's, even walmart and I can find a 4.0 or a 4.25 but not a 4.5 which a lot of patterns call for. Why is this?
    The American size or at least the hooks I have a 4 is an E in most of our hooks
    I use Susan Bates but I am sure Boye is the same (my Boye don't have the numbers on)

E=4
    F=5
    G=6
    H=8
    I=9
    j=10 I took these right off my hooks but like I said I use SUSAN BATES
    hope this helps you.
    charlye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by debbie67 View Post
    A 4.5 mm hook is a size 7. (It has no letter equivalent.) Hope this answers your question for you. So look for a size 7 steel hook.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

4. Thanks charlye thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    A 4.5 mm hook is a size 7. (It has no letter equivalent.) Hope this answers your question for you. So look for a size 7 steel hook.
    Thank you so much Poinciana. The steel hooks never crossed my mind. thank you for helping out. Can steel hooks be found on line?
    charlye

Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to find them on line, the same places you would and of the Letter hooks. Also, try E-bay. I got a batch of used ones there, awhile back real cheap. I scrubbed them real well, and they are good as new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you I will look for # 7

Post Thanks / Like
    There is also a size 7 in aluminum (no letter). I had once email Jean Leinhauser since I saw it in one of her books and couldn't find it and she said it is also an aluminum hook that size now.

I found it online (not a steel hook) believe at Herrschners and then at AC Moore.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an easy cross-reference guide for crochet hook sizes.

List of United States standard crochet hook and knitting needle sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I all ways order my mm hooks from Karp Styles in the UK. They have any hook you'd need.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, this is a good conversion hook chart that tells you hook sizes, numbers, letters, etc. put out by the company that Patwwlw orders from, Karp Styles: Crochet Hook comparison chart.
    Hope it helps!