Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

How do i trcf and trcb

The pattern I am going to use has two terms I am not familiar with. Trcf and trcb. The definition of trcf reads work trc around front of the trc on the row below, trcb reads work trc around back of the trc on the row below. This is a free Craftsy pattern for an infant sweater. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Debbie.
    This most likely is referring to crossed treble stitches. (trcf=treble crossed in front, trcb=treble crossed back) is my best guess, but these are made up names for the stitches as they are not standard. Also, I'd like to know if the terms are UK or from the US. Would you mind telling me the title of the pattern or posting the link so I can verify that I'm correct. There is also a possibility that these are post stitches because of the word "around".
    I'll be happy to make a video of how to work this stitch or find one already made to help you out.
    Best,
    Last edited by Charles Voth; 09-26-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Free baby crochet pattern 3 piece outfit eb-link usa

Here is the link, I am on my kindle and copying links does not always work. I thought it was related to a treble somehow, the pattern is us. I would LOVE a video if you could.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Debbie.
    Actually, it appears to be a UK site with lots of free patterns that she has translated in both UK and US terms and shared them. There is just a big Craftsy ad on every page, so it's misleading. That's how all these free pattern sites make money...by filling them up with advertising.

It's obvious that this kind-hearted and well-meaning pattern sharer is a little misguided about the abbreviation for treble crochet. We are used to "tr" as the abbreviation, but she used "trc" to meand treble crochet. She added the c for crochet like we do in "dc"...not a big deal, but a bit misleading.

Next, in UK terms, post stitches are termed as raised stitches and they use "f" for front and "b" for back, whereas in the US we say: "FPtr" for Front Post treble crochet, and "BPtr" for Back Post treble crochet.

There is another inconsistency in the pattern. She writes "trcf in next trc". This is misleading because we don't work post stitches "in" or "into" other stitches; in fact, we work them around other stitches. So when you read "trcf in" or "trcb" in this means around the indicated stitch, actually.

If you've never made post stitches...there is a free Craftsy video class done by my friend Drew. You have to sign in to a free Craftsy account if you don't have one yet, but once you're in, you "register" for the free class. If you watch "Lesson 2" you will see very clear demonstrations of post stitches. For an individual video on a Front Post stitch, you can watch my friend Johnny's video here. And he does one for a Back Post stitch here.

Just a word of caution. In all of these videos, they are making double-crochet post stitches, but for your little pattern you'll need to work treble post stitches.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

Warmly,

5. Thanks Rogue Hobbies, Jheri thanked for this post
    Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I will check those videos out. I appreciate the help

7. Likes Jheri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Charles, I"m taking Drew's Craftsy classes on textures to make the 9 blocks right now, just started earlier tonight in fact. I do really good with the foundationless dc beginning of the lesson for block A, but I can only manage about 8 " max of good no-foundation stitches, and that's with a lot of tearing out and starting over every 10-12 stitches.

I'll be doing great, and then my posts start slanting and eventually get smaller and stop looking like dc stitches. I obviously know how to do it but then why would my stitches start messing up so bad? I've gone over & over it and am not doing anything different when this starts happening!

I finally I got 8" of good solid dc posts, so I stopped that part there and went onto the front post and back post dc stitches following the pattern, and am on row 2" of what I'm supposed to have so I'm just going to carry on.

If I bust, well, then at least I tried, but the foundationless dc blew my mind when all of a sudden my perfect row kept messing up over and over after a sudden point. I'd really like to lick that part, I hate giving in or giving up!

Any suggestions or ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Thx!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Susan. Congrats on jumping in to a new skill and giving Drew's class a try. Would you be able to do several inches again and photograph it and post them here? just so I can see what's going on? I have a theory that there are several things going on...one could be the yarn and the size of hook. If you are using an acrylic that isn't really stretchy or a cotton and a hook that's too small it could be affecting things. What yarn are you using and what size hook? The other thing that is probably happening is you are either forgetting the extra chain before completing the dc, or when you make it, you don't loosen the loop enough. Try this: Ch 3, yo, insert hook in first ch, *yo, pull up a loop, (place a stitch marker in the loop just pulled up), [yo, pull through 2 loops] twice**, yo, insert hook in marked loop, rep from * for desired length ending at ** on last st. When you do the part in red, that loop needs to be about 1 and 1/2 times the length of a normal chain for you in your tension. Consistency is the hardest to achieve, but I'm guessing that as you get going, the excitement of the new technique, plus the worry that it's going to slant in and turn out badly, is actually causing you to tighten your tension unwittingly. Give it a try and see if this helps.
    Last edited by Charles Voth; 10-05-2014 at 11:31 AM.