Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: missing my dog

Post Thanks / Like

missing my dog

Hi, My name is Debbie,
    My Grandmother taught me to crochet about 55 years ago. I have made many projects over those years; though if I counted, I probably knitted more than I crocheted. I am also a sewer. The fiber arts have been my favorite creative outlet over the years, but many things have kept me too busy for the past few years.

Now I'm retired, my husband and I have recently lost our parents, and finally, our dog of 17 years passed away. I was too busy to feel any empty nest syndrome when my kids moved out, but now I really need an outlet. My husband doesn't want another dog, so I thought I would get back into being creative.

I love the internet. There is so much help and advice right at my fingertips, not to mention patterns, ideas and inspiration.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning new and creative things and ways to crochet.

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your parents and now your precious furrbaby!! I'm very glad you decided to go back to your crafts and joined crochet talk welcome to our group :-) After crocheting and knitting for 55 years I'm sure you have many stories and tips to share. Oh and pictures we love seeing pictures of others work!!! Look forward to getting to know you hugs Winnie

4. Thanks DKHM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DKHM I am Sorry for Your furbaby Loss. Im glad your hubby wants another Dog & you to not say NO. Yes your Crafts will give you that feeling of spreading the joys & laughs & even his naughty times, I would love hearing Those. You are a Talented Gal & I too will love to see some of them. Do you Paint as some Artist in Fibers also draw. Have many in this group. Love having you and Winnie is a Dear Gal as well as all the others you will meet. God Bless You & Hubby & Your Furbaby is now in Animal heaven maybe chasing my cock -a-Poo who past at age 14 (Cancer). Susan2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the warm welcome.
    I haven't crocheted for so long, I think I'd have a hard time finding something to take a picture of that isn't worn out, but I do have a story.
    When my boys were young I was crocheting blankets for all my friends and relatives who were having babies. My youngest is interested in all kinds of art.
    When he was about 8, he wanted to learn to crochet. First I taught the chain. We had crocheted ropes all over the house.
    Later he started making little squares and circles. Then he gave up the crochet and moved on to building models, drawing, oil painting
    He moved on to throwing clay on a wheel to make plates and cups and bowls, and later glass blowing.
    A couple years ago he met a new girlfriend. She is pretty crafty and is always making lots of neat things.
    One day a couple winters ago she pulled out a crochet needle and some yarn and started making my son a hat.
    He said, "Hey, I know how to do that. My mom taught me." He picked up one of her crochet needles and started making his own hat.
    It became a favorite pastime. They made hats for all their friends. So at age 36, my son who lives in Hawaii, remembered how to crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Debbie. It s nice to meet you. I am Larisa doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan2014, Yes, I hope my Irish Terrier and your Cock-a-poo are having a grand time.
    No, I don't draw or paint. Unfortunately I just don't have that talent. I have designed quite a few graphic art designs that were printed on T-shirts for my husband's sailing group. I think I can do that because graphic art is a little more structured.
    Thanks for the welcome. I am already enjoying the group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larisa,
    If you made the doily in your profile picture, you are truly talented. It is gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Debbie! Yes I made all doilies which I show. I love filet ones these days and cannot stop making LOL. I am not talented. Filet patterns are so easy to do - only DCs and chains. My kids do not do any crafts. Take care == Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Debbie, It is a pleasure to meet you. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet and your parents. I lost my dad when I was 10 and my mom in 1997 just before Christmas. I have lost pets too in the past and I know how hard it is. They are so loyal and loving. I have 2 dogs right now, a beagle and a black lab. I am disabled and they have a way of making me feel better and they are always near me protecting me. I do other crafts as well as crocheting. I find that my crafts help me to relax and keep my mind off everything. Everyone is so wonderful here. I hope to get to know you better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crafts do keep my mind off all the stuff going on in my life and the world. Apparently, sharing stories with others interested in crafting is very therapeutic as well.
    It was interesting to hear about your dogs. I think our dogs know more about us than we realize. I don't think they see our disabilities, just our mental weaknesses.