Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you worry about the dye lots when creating a crochet project?

It seems some of us are always running out of yarn when creating larger projects. I don't usually worry too much about the dye lot number when going to get more yarn, although I am not making items to sell.

So, do you worry about the dye lots when creating a crochet project?

2. Thanks Mary Laposta thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For the most part I do not worry so much about the dye lot unless making a large item. I tend to buy yarn that has no dye lot, however that can sometimes be misleading. I recently made some leggings for my daughter with some yarn that I thought would be enough for this project, however, I ran out and had to go buy another skein. It was the same on the label, looked the same color, but when I finished the leggings, you could definitely tell where the new skein started. It had just a little lighter color. The color was grey Heather. I was really disappointed, but my daughter said it was o.k and she couldn't really tell much difference, but I could. I usually try to buy enough yarn for the project I am doing, but this time I found the pattern and thought I had enough yarn in my stash to make it up.

4. Likes Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually do pay attention but I recently made a green/blue and white Seahawks afghan and thought I had plenty of green. When I started a new skein there was a noticeable difference; I checked and the dye lot was the same, name the same, the only thing different was the date: about 6 months apart! So between another CT gal and I we figured instead of ripping it all out to put something between the two greens; the color was very close but together you could really tell the difference. So separated by just a few rows, the 2nd green was good! So now I pay attention to the date too!!!!

6. Likes Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, because even though skeins indicate there are no dye lots, they are different. If you have, for instance, Red Heart Super Saver, check the labels on them, especially now, there are dates and times, apparently that is the date they were produced. Try to get them as close to the times as possible. Other brands may have numbers on their labels also, try and match them as much as you can. No dye lot is not true all the time. It can be different.

Roe
    Last edited by LI Roe; 09-11-2014 at 02:07 PM.

8. Likes Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I do. I find I tend to start a project with a large ball and what ever is left over use it on items that don't matter so much in mixing the colours up. I didn't realize that about the date and time on the no dye lots, though did suspect there to be a difference. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really. I normally just get enough yarn to do the project at hand, but if by chance I need a skein or two more, I don't worry about the dye lots. Luckily I've never had a problem. Most of the yarn I do use, though, doesn't do dye lots.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt used to but I made a vest that in the light of day showed clearly the different colors. Not pretty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the same thing happen to me, as with Little Drummer. Only it was a sweater and was for one of my sons. The colors really aren't what you think they are. I've many a time gotten yarn that's not the exact same color. So, I double check the dye lots all the time now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. That is why I usually buy more than I think I will need for any project. Thus, have lots of left over yarn. Caron Simply Soft does not have dye lots, and makes a very, very soft finished project. Color is usually not an issue though, once in a while, there may be a difference in the thickness of the yarn. That can happen within a skein. Usually will not be noticed by anyone that does not crochet or knit. Hope this helps. pb

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to watch the dye lots. Sometimes I may not have enough yarn to finish however. If there is a slight color difference I do try to put at least one row of a different color between the first and second yarn to help hide the difference, when that is possible.
    I don't mind frogging enough to make pattern changes if need be as long as I don't waste my yarn.

Judi G