Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Hat Brim Help

Post Thanks / Like

Hat Brim Help

Does anyone know anything about Brimlock or nylon hat wire? Some of my summer hats for chemo patients are a little too floppy. I found brimlock for sale but no instructions. Is there another way to support the brim just a little bit?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not personally used brimlock. Other members will be along and hopefully someone will be here who has used it. So, please be patient and maybe we can get some answers for you. Thank you!

3. Thanks ginny2228 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ginny2228 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Brimlock or nylon hat wire? Some of my summer hats for chemo patients are a little too floppy. I found brimlock for sale but no instructions. Is there another way to support the brim just a little bit?
    http://crochettalk.com/pictures/1534...-new-post.html
    Hi,
    I never knew that Brimlock's exist. What is it?, is that some kind of wire?.
    Good luck
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a picture of the hat? Might give us a better idea. I don't think I would use any kind of wire for a chemo hat as their heads are so sensitive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is wire. I found a tutorial on You Tube but it has to be heated. I don't want to do that. My son suggested a heavy line that is used for trimming weeds and lawn edging. He gave me a piece and I tried it with the brim of a very light weight hat. It worked well. I will try to send a picture later today.
    Ginny
    I will try to send pictures when my son gets here to help me. I don't have a digital camera and don't know doodle about my cell phone.
    Last edited by ginny2228; 08-09-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added information

Post Thanks / Like
    This is for a summer sun hat with a brim. Some of them are supposed to be floppy but with lighter yarn they flop too much.
    The wire is added with last row of brim.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about you use a flower (either a crochet one or a silk flower) or a big button to "pin up" and secure part of the brim, and leave the rest floppy? Would that work for you?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kayscrochetpatterns View Post
    Can you post a picture of the hat? Might give us a better idea. I don't think I would use any kind of wire for a chemo hat as their heads are so sensitive.
    The way I am thinking how ever that looks like..It probably is needed to hold a brim of sun hat "up" in a right place. So, that brim wouldn't be going down on a face of that person. That probably would have to be "connected" to the edge (end) of that brim. Any way I don't even know what that thing suppose look like..?.
    It is always better to avoid that problem when that brim is crochet. I did make a few sun hats for my granddaughters, I never had that problem. I kept my stitches tight and I watched very carefully how that was working out out during crocheting.

Here is one photo of those sun hat's that I made.
    Krys
    Hat Brim Help-sun-hats-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Krys, the hat is very pretty. I have made some like that and the brim stays out of the eyes. The ones that flop too much are made with #3 yarn. The pattern doesn't call for any wire because it is suppose to be floppy. I just don't like it. I think I will make it with a worsted weight yarn and see how it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shelley. I will try that.