Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question About Buying Crochet Project Kits

I'm wondering about buying crochet project kits that include the pattern and yarn. I've always been afraid that I'd get the project almost completed and then run out of yarn near the end. Or that the quality of yarn wouldn't be very good.

I ran across this beautiful afghan throw on the Mary Maxim site. The kit is $49.99 which is a fair price, I think.

Mary Maxim - Coffee & Cream Diamonds Throw - Crochet Afghans - Afghans - Knit & Crochet

Have any of you ever purchased a kit?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently bought a latch hook kit from the Goodwill for $1.99 and it had all the yarn and the wooden rod to hang it on. It didn't have the latch-hook but I had one so I lucked out. That is not the same as buying from a store like Hobby Lobby or others I know but I took a chance and I finished it with yarn left over. I also bought a kit for a plastic canvas bag ($2.99 also from the Goodwill)) that hadn't been opened and finished it with yarn left over . It even had the handles for the bag. Maybe you have seen it. It had lady bugs, bumble bees and a flower motif. rather small but at least I cannot stuff much in it and I can find my phone in it because I lined it and put a pocket inside. I carry it when I go to the doctor most of the time because I don't need to carry much in it then. I could post it maybe when I get a chance. I have finished a couple of projects that have been laying around for several years since I have been going to the doctors so much. It didn't take much time to finish them up. One of them is a latch-hook project that has been in my basement stairwell shelf for I don't know how many years. I think it is beautiful now that it is finished! I would say go ahead and take a chance if you really want that project. It is probably OK. Love Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 08-04-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly, About 20 years ago I bought the Mary Maxim baby blanket that is round and in different shades of blue,pink and indetween colors. It worked up so nice.I paid 39.00 dollars for it then, it is 49.00 now. It comes out looking like a12 point star. I still have the directions and have made 2 more baby afghans from it. I looked up the coffee and cream aFGHAN, IT IS VERY PRETTY. The only thing I found with the yarns in the kits is the yarn is rather thin. It may have changed in the last 20 years. Margaret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    I'm wondering about buying crochet project kits that include the pattern and yarn. I've always been afraid that I'd get the project almost completed and then run out of yarn near the end. Or that the quality of yarn wouldn't be very good.

I ran across this beautiful afghan throw on the Mary Maxim site. The kit is $49.99 which is a fair price, I think.

Mary Maxim - Coffee & Cream Diamonds Throw - Crochet Afghans - Afghans - Knit & Crochet

Shelley
    Hi Shelley,
    You are very right to worry about that. Few years ago I did purchased two kits from Mary Maxim. The first one was Ok. But that was a very small project. The second time when I was purchasing an afghan kit, I was worried about that too. So I purchased extra yarn from them in every color was used in that afghan (at the same time as I was placing that order for that kit). I ask them to make sure that extra yarn will be from the same dye lot as will be in that kit (they put those kit's together by themselves). And yes, I did run out of two colors. From that time I never bought another kit again.
    I know that I am not being very helpful here. But it is what it is.
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like

Shelley
    I have bought small project kits and had no trouble. Have made the projects again with different yarn. But have not bought a large kit. No help I know sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've bought kits when on sale, not for the afghan to make but for the different colors of yarns in them for making other things was cheaper than just buying the yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, about 40 years ago. It was for a beautiful ripple afghan. It was the first thing I ever crocheted. My mother-in-luv gifted it to me because she wasn't interested in doing it after she had purchased and didn't want to send it back. I was so glad she gave it to me - it turned out beautiful - although I know I made a lot of mistakes on it now (did I mention it was the first item I ever crocheted?). Somehow the booboo's weren't noticeable! And, I was elated that it my first item to crochet. I had yarn left over!! (woo hoo) I just found the pattern for the afghan two days ago and will have it laminated (it can be crocheted or knitted) and I'm going to use it again and try and "knit" the next one I make. So, although I didn't purchase it, I would buy a kit today and I'm sure they will provide enough yarn. Happy Hooking!
    fabiana

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't normally buy kits for the same reason, I am always concerned that I will run out of yarn since I tend to crochet a bit looser at time. However, I recently bought a couple of small kits at Herrschners but I did buy a couple of extra skeins, just in case. On one I liked the pattern and really bought it for that (was on sale anyway) and couldn't find it anywhere. Most of the kits seem to use the brand of yarn (like Herrschners own yarn on some kits) and so far, it seemed good, since I had bought yarn separately.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like

Shelley
    Hi Shelley, I remembered I just got a Mary Maxim book in the mail just a day or 2 ago and I decided to look in it and see if that pattern and kit was there and it is !! It is really pretty. I just love the afghan and it is so pretty ....probably would pretty a different shades of another color too....if I had the pattern that is!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    Shelly, About 20 years ago I bought the Mary Maxim baby blanket that is round and in different shades of blue,pink and indetween colors. It worked up so nice.I paid 39.00 dollars for it then, it is 49.00 now. It comes out looking like a12 point star. I still have the directions and have made 2 more baby afghans from it. I looked up the coffee and cream aFGHAN, IT IS VERY PRETTY. The only thing I found with the yarns in the kits is the yarn is rather thin. It may have changed in the last 20 years. Margaret.
    Hey Texas transplant.... how much trouble would it be to post that pattern or to send me a copy of it? If you need my address let me know and I will send postage to you for it. If you can't or would rather not it will be OK. Love, Patty

PS

I am sorry that is not the pattern I wanted...I was thinking you had the Coffee and Cream Diamonds throw pattern. That is the one I was asking for. I can't afford 49 dollars for the whole kit but I have a lot of yarn to do my own with. Thanks anyway, Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 08-06-2014 at 09:02 AM.