Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Amigurumi Attempt

I attempted to divert my attention away from one problem I was having only to direct myself into yet another problem. I tried to do my very first design with Amigurumi. I thought it would be easy to do a fish as it would take few hexagons and the shape was simple. Wow, was I ever wrong!!! As you can see I did make the African Flower hexagon, but putting the thing together was a nightmare. My first problem was making a half hexagon match up corners with the full hexagon. Next was attaching the figures. I managed to figure out how the shapes would go together, but I didn't match corners and two sides are put together backwards. Does anyone know of a youtube tutorial on how to put the hexagons together to make it look smooth? and Does anyone have a pattern on making the half hexagon, I am guessing a trapezoid shape would work as well? Thanks for all the help I have received from everyone on this forum. I think I would have driven myself crazy by now if I didn't know I had a place to go to for help! Amigurumi Attempt-pinkfish-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello crochetmelt,
    I been crocheting amigurumi for a while. Amigurumi usually are work with very tight sc. There is a reason for that: so the "stuffing" will not be showing up thru the openings. Because that would not look good at all.
    I have never seen amigurumi pattern or project design that way ( I am talking about the stitches that you are using).
    While ago I did crochet a gold fish. Nothing fancy that was just a cat toy. There are amigurumi patterns for a very "fancy" fishes . You just need to Google or go on Pinterest or many other sides... I hope that I am being of some help to you.
    Here is a photo of my gold fish - cat toy. So you will get some idea what I am talking about.
    Krys
    Amigurumi Attempt-gold-fish-cat-toy-jpg
    Last edited by Polishgirl; 07-23-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Polishgirl,
    Thanks for your help. I saw several Amigurumi using the African Flower hexagon. Perhaps I have confused Amigurumi with something else. I was looking at Heidi Bear's site and thought she was using the hexagons to make her figures. I'll double check! By the way, your goldfish is ADORABLE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi crochetmel thank you. Yes amigurumis can be done out of all kind of differnt shapes sewn together. If someone want to do that. But still it needs to be crochet with very tight sc. Are you plannig to "stuff" your fish?.
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like
    Krys,
    Can you do an African Flower with tight SC? I looked up the African Flower pattern online and that is what I found. (About the fish) No, I more than likely won't stuff the fish, it was a diversion for me. I had to get away from the glazed thread problem I was having. As a matter of fact, thanks to you I have started back working on my real project and the glazed thread looks great working from around the post. I put a double crochet around the post then a single crochet and it kind of looks like a bullion stitch. Your suggestion got me back on track!!! I'll post the finished product when I finish it. Again, thank you. Of course, if I get stuck again, I'll post to you and work on the fish a little more
    Thanks,
    Sharon
    Sharon

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi crochet melt, sorry it took me so long to reply. I was just away from my computer.
    About that African Flower. IF you would like that flower to be 3 D you would need to crochet that with a sc. Now I have seen many flower they were not amigurumi (not 3 D) and they were crochet with a sc. So, anything is possible.
    I am very sorry I did not meant to "mess up" your plans with your fish.
    You are talking about your real project. What is it?.
    I am planning to start working on Christmas projects. But, that will take a while. First I need to take care of many other things (nothing to do with crocheting).
    XXX
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I just got back in town and I got your message. I do crochet headbands and I was working on a headband with a new thread and it has been quite a hard task. I did the Heidi Bear thing as a diversion as I said. I haven't crocheted anything for over a week and I am still struggling for a new headband pattern. I haven't even looked at the african flower stuff online. Do you have a link that might help me understand it a little better? Thanks, Sharon