Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help with yarn cleaning

I and my late husband were both smokers and I need to find a way to get the cigarette odor out of yarn that has been in boxes for a couple of years. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the odor? Being on a fixed income now I really can't afford to throw it away. Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I store my yarn in containers or even in the store plastic bags temporarily I add fabric softener sheets. I believe some people used crushed newspaper but I'm not sure if that's right. Some will wash the skeins but they need to be contained in the washing machine so they don't tangle.

Hopefully someone else could either add to this or correct me if I'm wrong.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep them in the skein and put them in a mesh lingerie bag. Wash on gentle. This way they get washed but stay in a skein

5. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on my friend's and my experiences- Not only do you need a lingerie bag, but each skein should be knotted into a knee high stocking-ask us how we know!!! We received 9 large trash bags full of yarn from a smoking house, and sometimes we were successful on the first wash, some not. I thought the bag was enough, but found out differently, even rubber bands did not help.I have some really pretty yarn that is knotted beyond belief. I will do my best to undo, but scissors will be required. Also, some stayed dampish in the center, so it will be going out to soak up some sun (as soon as I see some).

7. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gmacrawford View Post
    I and my late husband were both smokers and I need to find a way to get the cigarette odor out of yarn that has been in boxes for a couple of years. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the odor? Being on a fixed income now I really can't afford to throw it away. Thanks for any help!
    I volunteer at senior center where we get yarn in that has odors, and we have a lady that takes it home and uses the lingerie bag and gentle washes it, or we lay it out on Friday and spray it with Febreeze and let it sit all weekend and by Monday the odor is usually gone...so you might try febreeze...Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree as i have done this and works,

Post Thanks / Like
    never did this until at Garage sale I was told they were in Box a long time and I even smell lightly an oda. Worked : left skein whole into Bag and washed. let dry Woo-Lah !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was keeping my yarn always in plastic bags. I still do and I do not have any smoke odor on my yarn. Did you try that spray Fabrize?. The only one sure way to get read of that odor is after you crochet something just wash that item.
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like
    I washed the yarn that my husband's aunt had stored in her musty basement. I first put it out on my deck in the summer for a week or two,and then put it in mesh laundry bags to wash in my washer. I dried them in my dryer then.