Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Bavarian Crochet

I would like to learn to do Bavarian Crochet. There is a book I would buy to learn it. However, I just found out that it is mostly done with triple crochet. I hate, I mean really really HATE triple crochet. Truly I do. Could Bavarian be done with double instead of triple?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never done Bavarian crochet but it's a creates a stunning pattern. Maybe you could make a swatch practice piece using DC only, like say 10 inches by 10 inches and see how it turns out?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea! Thanks I never even thought of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bavarian crochet is something I would love to learn to do as well. But, I think of it as being much more than I can handle right now. What are some of your ideas about it?

Cathy

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know Cathy, I just love how it looks. I have a couple of projects and then I am going to give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also love the Bavarian crochet. I haven't tried it yet due to having so much pain in my thumb from arthritis and it looks like a pattern that would require more pulling on my thumb. What can you ladies tell me who have done this stitch, it is one that is tight when doing it and requires more tension on the thumb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Judi, I don't know how bad you arthritis is, but I will tell you what helps my hands. It might help you too. Before and after I crochet I rub into my hands this stuff called "Blue Emu Cream", it is in a jar, and sold at Wal Mart. There is not scent, no oily texture, and no "heat". It is the best pain reliever other than drugs that I have ever used. A little goes a long way so the jar lasts a long time. It is $11.00. I use it on my hips at night. I have bursitis in both of them and laying down make each hip hurt.
    For my hands I just rub it in as if it were hand lotion but using much less than hand lotion. If there was pain before I used it it is gone almost immediately after applying the cream.
    I hope you try it and it works for you.
    It can be ordered online through WalMart.com or in the store on the shelf where the Ben-Gay is stocked..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Trude,
    I'm sure you could use a double crochet. I think a sample piece like Pixieglitter suggested is an excellent idea. Here's a link to a "sample square". You have to remember this stitch is a YARN EATER so be prepared if you choose to use it for a large project.

How to Crochet the Bavarian Rectangle
    By: Roseanna Beck for FaveCrafts.com
    Read more at How to Crochet the Bavarian Rectangle | FaveCrafts.com
    Blessings,
    Kiti

9. Thanks missro007, cybarra thanked for this post
    Likes cybarra liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Trude, I made my step daughter an afghan using the bavarian crochet triple stitch for Christmas last year. She loved the afghan. It is a time consuming stitch and kiti13 is right, it is a yarn eater. If your project is a big one, be prepared to spend a lot of time on it. I got so tired of doing that stitch that I wound up just doing a double crochet stitch around and around until I got the afghan the size I wanted. It certainly is a pretty stitch. I told my step daughter that she has a one of a kind afghan because I will never use that stitch to make something again, unless it is a small project. But that's just me. Others may feel differently about that stitch. I do believe you can use the double crochet stitch and it will look really good. Just try a small sample piece with double crochet and see how you like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I will try with a double. I have purchased a shawl pattern for this stitch so now I can save up to buy the yarn I will need. Impatient now to try it.

12. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post