Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Newbie here

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Newbie here

Hi,everyone,I am 66 year young Grandma married to a semi-retired farmer. This is a second marriage for both of us and we have a total of five grown children,eight grandchildren,a blind bischon,and a Shihzu who thinks she is in charge of the family. I was an RN for 43 years and retired two years ago. Most of my nursing career was in CICU and PACU,so the attention to detail prepared me for learning to crochet,especially in reading patterns. If I have any addiction,it truely is crochet. My first project was a baby blanket in 1970. I learned 6 stitches from that. Then as life happens,I didn't truely return to crochet, except for a rare easy afgan,until about 2 years ago. As I became more internet savey,I was able to learn how to read patterns and practice crochet by making dishrags and as I became more proficient,I graduated to dishcloths and face cloths. Now,I love making almost anything imaginable! Purple people eater hat,a coral snake,American girl doll clothes,sweaters,bearded beanie................. With the help of our city librarian,we started a group last winter where we can learn anything from crochet,to knitting,to tatting,to whatever! Not bad for a town of less than 400! Looking forward to learning from all of you!

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dona and welcome. It's nice to meet you. Maybe I can learn a thing or 2 from you. I look forward to hopefully seeing some pictures of your work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you,Lynda for your quick reply and warm welcome. I will try to send a picture of my lastest project soon!

5. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dona, I look forward to seeing them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dona! It s nice to meet you! I am Larisa doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dona and welcome. I am also a newbie and look forward to getting to know you. I just turned 64 and I am looking forward to an exciting new year with all my new crochet friends.
    I was in the banking field myself for 15 years, then we moved to Southern Ca to take care of my in-laws. I was their home care provider until they passed. During that time one of my lifetime goals was met and I attended Cerritos Community College where I received my AA in web design. I ran my own business for several years until my vision got too bad to see the details. Cuddles (my Rottweiler) and Pepper (my Terrier) pretty much run the house. They have us well trained.
    I learned to crochet at NIH in the mid 80's but gave it up in the early nineties because life became too hectic. I have done a few small projects off and on.
    I have some medical problems that prohibit me from being as active as I would like so I started crocheting again. So far I have made 3 baby blankets, 2 scarves, and am working on some place mats to give to my neighbors for Christmas.
    It sounds like you have a really nice community where people still get together. I miss that..
    I spent 20 years as a Navy wife and really miss the camaraderie that we shared.
    You could probably teach some of us a thing or two..
    Welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Adinkado,Thank you for your warm welcome. I,too,have had some experience with caring for my elderly relatives. At one time I was medical power of attorney for my husband's Aunt and Uncle and my parents. They all had various health issues and it was a challenge to meet their needs at times. I really enjoy our group at the librarynow,especially since it was just remodeled and the square footage was doubled. I am more adept at crochet than knitting,but have done a few dish cloths and a scarf. I want to try broomstick lace and relearn hairpin lace. Guess you are never too old to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Dona! I really love making doilies
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

11. Thanks Dona thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! It is a pleasure to meet you and have you here with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you,Barbara,This site seems exciting and fun!