Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Not quite understanding pattern

I wanted to make this American Doll skirt & top. The starting instructions are not what I'm use to! The hook size is metric so I think it is not an "American" pattern. This is how it starts out. This is for the skirt starting at waistband.
    Chain 60 sts. Rows 1-3 (counts for the first DC), 59 DC. Fold the strip lengthwise, connect the long edges with sc-for this insert the hook in the sts from both edges & draw the yarn through sts on both edges. Work to the end of the strip to get a tube. Join in a circle with a slip stitch. Continue to work in rounds. At end of each round, join with a slip stitch, but do not turn.
    I'm thinking it means to DC in 2nd stitch from hook, DC in each st across. Row 2 Turn & ch 3, DC across. Same for row 3.
    The pattern is at ABC Knitting Patterns - Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns. American Girl Doll FlaredButtercup Skirt. I made the hat that goes with the outfit. It came out fine. Really cute. The Sleeveless Wrap Top completes the outfit. It starts out the same as skirt. Just strange to me.
    Am I thinking right about the way to start?
    Thanks, Katie
    Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dustygirl, Please go back and reread the directions, it says ch3 counts as first DC. You are creating a waistband that is a tube for a tie to make it a little adjustable. Then slip stitch to join it.DO NOT TURN. Round 1: Ch 3 and DC in same stitch as the chain and 2 DC in each stitch around. It is a little confusing in that it starts with round 1 again after you do the waist band. ( That round will have 2 DC in each stitch resulting in 120 stitches. ) Hope this helps. Thanks for sharing the link, I want to make some of these too.
    Last edited by elproct; 05-21-2014 at 07:09 AM.

3. Thanks Dustygirl thanked for this post
    Likes Dustygirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the reply. I guess I was tired when I started working on this one. I just thought it was worded funny. I have the skirt almost done but ran short on the variegated pink thread I was using. I was surprised when I couldn't find any in the stores! I finally went online and ordered some. As for the waistband, it does say to put a piece of elastic through it. Thanks for your ideas.
    Katie
    Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant.

5. Likes elproct liked this post