Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Musty yarn gift

Post Thanks / Like

Musty yarn gift

Hello. I am new to this site. I have been retired for 4 years and am enjoying my time crocheting for 2 or 3 craft fairs that I do in November. I have just been given several bags of yarn from a friend who is cleaning out his mother's basement. They exude a strong musty order. Today I clipped some of the skeins to 4 different drying racks and put them on my deck for the wind and sun to do their work. They do smell better. I plan on repeating the procedure with the same skeins tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Blingandthings

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the crochet forums! It is nice to meet you and please make yourself at home here among friends! Thanks for joining us!

I have not had any experience with this situation, but wonder if using a small amount of fabreeze would also help as long as the yarn color does not run, which in most cases it shouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my part of the world, musty happens a lot. I am a huge fan of fresh air and sunshine for this sort of a problem....seems to work well for me. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Katybug View Post
    In my part of the world, musty happens a lot. I am a huge fan of fresh air and sunshine for this sort of a problem....seems to work well for me. Good luck!
    My sister just sent a message explaining that she treated musty books by putting newspapers in the box with them. That would make me worry about the ink getting on the yarn. The sun seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad that it is working for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to Crochet Talk. We are excited that you are joining us.

Debbie
    She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.

Proverbs 31:25

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Debbie!

Thank you so much...am enjoying being here!

8. Thanks blueeyes68 thanked for this post
    Likes blueeyes68, AudreyL liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome from Pa. Nice to have you with us

Post Thanks / Like
    Awwwww...thanks AudreyL! The weather reports for my area say that we'll be having more rain and a bit of wind to go with it, so I have gathered some patterns and a bit of yarn in anticipation of more bad weather. Last week, we had 30in of it...caused a LOT of damage to my town, and I didn't have any projects at hand....LOL...I'm prepared now. I'd better use up this yarn so I won't have any musty :-)